Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 08:01 AM

Re: Bought Bread

Yes I also heard that Twink.

And all bread that you buy has sugar in it and Cereals, you can't win.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Warburtons medium white for sandwiches... .
I sometimes buy that to use in my sandwich toaster - as I cannot cut my homemade bread thin enough !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 08:19 AM

Have been buying and eating the Co-op's wholemeal loaf for the past few years.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Yes I also heard that Twink.

And all bread that you buy has sugar in it and Cereals, you can't win.
The only reason they don't want diabetics to have sugar is because sugar is absorbed into the body faster and it has no nutritional values apart from giving energy. All carbohydrates are a form of sugar, so the bit in bread wont harm if your insulin balances it out.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 09:27 AM

I buy Sainsbury’s own unsliced multi seeded wholemeal bread, really delicious and tasty.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 10:40 AM

Some interesting loaves being recommended in this thread.
Once again, good healthy nutritious bread needs just 4 ingredients: Flour, Water, Salt and Yeast

Let's look at some of the loaves that have been highlighted:

Originally Posted by Lion Queen
: My dad loves Hovis Wholemeal
Hovis Wholemeal Ingredients

Wholemeal Flour (Wheat), Water, Caramelised Sugar, Yeast, Wheat Protein, Soya Flour, Salt, Wheat Flour (with added Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Emulsifiers: E471, E472e, E481; Preservative: E282, Vegetable Fat (Palm, Rapeseed), Flour Treatment Agent: Ascorbic Acid.

(https://www.hovis.co.uk/our-range/wholemeal#wholemeal)

Hovis, on their website market this as "wholesome" and as having "some hearty-goodness" but that is caveated in the small print as being just the presence of some Vitamin B1. Pretty lame.

The ingredients list, being full of E numbers and preservatives in not, to my mind, conducive of a healthy bread.

There are some 9 or 10 ingredients there over and above the simple 4 that are needed to make bread.

Originally Posted by Eccles
I like Sainsbury's crusty sourdough loaf
Sainsbury's sourdough

INGREDIENTS: Fortified Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, calcium carbonate, Iron, niacin, and thiamin), Water, Sea Salt, Extra Virgin Olive Oil (1%), Rapeseed Oil, Soya Flour, Spirit Vinegar, Flour Treatment Agent:Ascorbic Acid .

(https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/...ifference-400g)

Now this one isn't bad. It has the basic 4 ingredients to which they've added some oils and ascorbic acid (Vit C)
So not unhealthy. However, if you watched a recent episode of "Rip Off Britain" you will know that the "sourdoughs" in the supermarkets are anything but.
Many people now understand that a real sourdough loaf is far more nutiritious and healthy than ordinary bread but many don't really know why nor do they know
how sourdough bread is made. So they are buying the badge "sourdough" which the supermarkets are using imo fraudulently.
The entire point of sourdough bread is that firstly it uses "wild yeast" and secondly the dough, once mixed, is left to ferment from 12 to 24 hours (sometimes longer).
This changes the neature of the grains/flour and produces a sour and wholesome loaf.
What the supermarkets are doing is making ordinary bread, lobbing a little wild yeast in there to tick that box but are not fermenting the dough for 12 to 24 hours.

In essence, supermarkets have cottoned on to the fact that the rise of artisan bakeries has exposed how unhealthy and bad for you
ordinary supermarket bread is and they've cottoned on to the fact that people will pay a premium for sourdough bread.
So all they are doing is creating a vastly inferior and frankly fake product in order to give it that "sourdough" badge so they can charge more for it.
Each to their own but imho I would avoid supermarket sourdough. If you are going to pay for a good sourdough, get a real one from an artisan bakery.

Originally Posted by Summer
Warburtons medium white for sandwiches
Warburtons medium white

Wheat Flour [with Calcium, Iron, Niacin (B3) and Thiamin (B1)], Water, Yeast, Salt, Vegetable Oil (Rapeseed, Sustainable Palm), Soya Flour, Preservative: Calcium Propionate; Emulsifiers: E481, E472e; Flour Treatment Agent: Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C).

(https://www.warburtons.co.uk/product...g-medium-white)

Another one where the presence of unnecessary 'E' numbers and preservatives make this a no no for me.

Originally Posted by Twink55
Their seeded batch is also very tasty
Warburtons Seeded Batch

Ingredients: Wheat Flour [with Calcium, Iron, Niacin (B3) and Thiamin (B1)], Water, Seed Mix (12%) (Sesame Seed, Sunflower Seed, Brown Linseed, Millet Seed, Poppy Seed), Yeast, Sugar, Malted Barley Flour, Vegetable Oil (Rapeseed, Sustainable Palm), Salt, Emulsifiers: E471, E472e; Soya Flour, Wheat Gluten, Preservative: Calcium Propionate; Flour Treatment Agent: Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C ).

(https://www.warburtons.co.uk/product...tch-five-seeds)

A similar story to their medium white above. 'E' numbers, preservatives . . .
Note also that they are having to throw in extra wheat gluten to force the crumb structure to be able to hold the seeds.

Originally Posted by Mags
Sainsbury’s multi seeded wholemeal bread, really delicious and tasty
Sainsbury’s multiseed

Ingredients: Fortified British Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Water, Wheat Flour, Sunflower Seeds, Linseed, Sesame Seeds, Poppy Seeds, Wheat Gluten, Rye Flour, Oats, Pumpkin Seeds, Wheat Bran, Yeast, Sugar, Salt, Caramelised Sugar, Malted Wheat Flour, Flour Treatment Agent:Ascorbic Acid;.

(https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb...800g-6504663-p)

I guess the warning signs were there with your description of "delicious and tasty" lol
Another loaf that at face value seems healthy with all those seeds and grains but sadly it is all tainted with the presence of the added sugar and caramelised sugar.

This bread contains 2.5g of sugar PER SLICE ! Remember that 4g of sugar is 1 teaspoonful. This is a horrendous amount imho.

Imagine having a slice of toast, buttering it and then sprinkling over 1/2 teaspoon of sugar all over it!

Not a good way to lose weight nor to stay healthy imho.

~~~~~~~~

Ok so everyone will of course eat as they wish and make their own choices. Each to their own.

What I learn from all this is that what I "think" is tasty food, what I "think" is delicious is frequently nothing more than a false reaction to high levels of sugars that I didn't know were in the products I had bought. Sugars fool the brain and mess with your body systems.

In the case of bread, all we need is Flour, Salt, Yeast and water to which we can add extra seeds and other goodies. Bread that has 'E' numbers, preservatives and lots of sugars, should imho be totally avoided or eaten very infrequently.

You can make your own healthy bread with minimal effort and with an absolutely tiny amount of your own time. I make sourdough loaves regularly. I spend 5 mins mixing ingredients in a food mixer. I spent 2 mins shaping dough and 1 min scoring the dough and loading it into the oven.
That's 8 mins of my personal time expended. All the rest is left to Nature to do its thing.

Most people will spend more than 8 mins travelling to a supermarket walking round and throwing really unhealthy fast mass produced bread in their trolley.

The healthy choice is therefore easy to see imho!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 11:37 AM

I don't have a food mixer.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I don't have a food mixer.
And neither did I for years. I only bought one in the last couple of years because I wanted to start making high hydration breads which have a much wetter dough that is tricky to handle without a food mixer.

So, back to basics.

All you need is a large bowl, plastic or otherwise and a spatula. Cost price about £2 or £3.

Flour, salt, yeast and water go in, mix it up with the spatula then leave for 10 mins.

After 10 mins we do a "10 second knead" in the bowl which involves pinching the dough at the edge, lifting it up and pushing it down into the middle. Rotate the bowl a little and pinch and push again. Do this all the way around the bowl.
Should take no longer than 10 seconds.

Leave dough for 10 mins to rest.

Repeat the above 4 times. So 4 lots of "10 second kneads" with 10 mins rest inbetween each one.

Then leave dough in the bowl to rise over the course of 1 to 2 hours until it's doubled in size. Then shape into boule or log, leave another 20 to 30 mins, score and bake.

Making bread is EXTREMELY easy, there really are no excuses. It takes so very little of your own personal time, the pinch and push "kneading" means people with arthritis can do it and the result is good healthy bread with no 'E' numbers, no preservatives, no chemicals and no added sugars. The unbelievable smell and taste go without saying.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 01:03 PM

Send me some in a Jiffy Bag RS.....
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 01:08 PM

I have Kingsmill 50/50. Not recommending it but for me it's the only bread that doesn't spark off my IBS.

As for making my own....life is too short

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top