Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 12:27 AM

Re: Another school shooting, in Texas this time.

We are not allowed to have guns here in Canada.....so what they are doing here is renting a van and driving it down the sidewalk to kill as many people as possible. It just happened here in Toronto last month.

If people want to kill, they find ways.

A few years back, a young girl didn't want to wear her head scarf so her father ran her down and the kids with her, right on the school property (with his car)
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I'm totally anti gun ownership, although that POV is futile in the US. But what we see is a different kind of madness. It's a disintegration of society. A lot of kids, not just in the US but here too, have no purpose in life and see no future.

They say the perpetrator is "a quiet, sweet boy" who is confused and only shot those he didn't like. Whatever produces someone like that is a forked up society IMO.

When I went to Texas in the 80s for the wedding of a frat boy from Texas uni, we did a tour of the campus and his digs before the big day and they pointed out the tower where decades earlier there was a massacre from the tower. Apparently the killer had a brain tumour. The Texan culture and gun slinging go together.

I've always thought the US has a strange culture altogether. In a large geographical region, on the outside everyone is polite and tries to be really nice to everyone else. Inside all the grudges fester. It's surely not healthy. This combined with an obsession with money, status being dependent on wealth and a school system obsessed with popularity of some. Perhaps it's just me who thinks this is something to do with random kids wanting to go on killing sprees.

There are a lot of privately owned guns in Switzerland because of the Swiss Army, do they also have killing sprees? I have a friend who lived & worked there and he said they are more likely to use them to commit suicide.

The World is mad IMO these days, perhaps it always was.
I would tend to agree with you that half of the problem is a gun culture that has permeated itself insidiously through society, but the other half of the problem is that we separate "mental" health care from all other health care.

This separation means that our healthcare coverage typically does not cover many aspects of "mental" health. If we would correctly identify such illnesses as neurological, which they are (there is no such thing) and include coverage, the most ill would be getting the care that they need.

I appreciate your viewpoint on American culture. Right or wrong, how we project ourselves matters and we need to take that seriously. That said, respectfully Annie, much of this is not accurate.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 07:29 AM

Surfermom totally agree that mental illness is not taken seriously enough and there is inadequate care in just about all parts of the world for many on the periphery where they can just about cope outside an institution. I find it strange that when someone is mentally ill they don't scan the brain to look for physical changes, but instead medicate in a random way. We don't understand or care enough.

I don't know much about mental healthcare in the US. We don't have the best provision in the UK. Research has shown that people who commit violent acts have different brain structure. Brain illness and injury can also lead to personality changes and a reduced ability to control violent impulses. https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0127212158.htm

You're right I am just giving my opinion on the US culture I've experienced myself. I haven't been there for 15 years and I'm sure things have changed since the crash. When I was there everything revolved around money. Earning it, spending it, accumulating wealth. It may be just the people I met/knew.

My oldest best friend emigrated to the States when we were 12 and I often wonder what she'd be like had she stayed in the UK. I don't think they have a gun, I've never asked but I cannot imagine it. They are sociable and liked model citizens and their son is just a year older than the killer. They say the killer is a "quiet loner". It often seems it's kids on the outside of the social group who commit these crimes.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Like all of the other idiots before him .

Not true, - at least Obama tried to legislate to control the sale and use of guns. The rabid neo-fascist red necks that call themselves the Republican party managed to kick that intended legislation into touch in the senate.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Not true, - at least Obama tried to legislate to control the sale and use of guns. The rabid neo-fascist red necks that call themselves the Republican party managed to kick that intended legislation into touch in the senate.
What you fail to understand is the American right to bare arms.

Embraced by all Americans...Facists Rednecks sneer at them all you want.

What ever the Yanks do it will never remove their mind set.

So getting back to are own country LETS BAN ALL KNIVES.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 06:12 PM

They should cover those elbows up right now.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 06:34 PM

I wasn't going to say anything but I do hope they don't get sunburn on a day like today.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
What you fail to understand is the American right to bare arms.

Embraced by all Americans...Facists Rednecks sneer at them all you want.

What ever the Yanks do it will never remove their mind set.

So getting back to are own country LETS BAN ALL KNIVES.
Have to agree with you though ... I doubt the American mind set will ever change.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Have to agree with you though ... I doubt the American mind set will ever change.
It won't Morty.
They are brought up with guns as part of life. Kids are taught to shoot at a young age and women are just as into it as the guys.
The number of guns in private hands is staggering - you'll never get rid of them.
There are countries with fairly lax gun laws, but very little ownership, as it's just not something they're into.

You also have to remember that any attempt at gun restrictions in the US is a vote loser. Their economy also depends on it greatly.

I don't think they have any way back tbh.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 07:41 PM

Freedom to bear arms has a cost, obviously student lives are less important than the 2nd Amendment.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top