Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 01:56 PM

Pizza

Does anyone here,cook it from scratch?
I found,it is so worth the effort, took me a while to master the dough,.it tastes so much better than shop bought,..i am making a chicken,bacon,tomato and pepper one at the moment, served with garlic dipping sauce, which consists of mayonnaise, crushed garlic,onion salt and paprika, give it a stir,easy peasy.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 02:00 PM

Re: Pizza

Hi Pauline yes I make Pizza from scratch but for me a pizza is the dough base/mozzarella cheese/a tomato sauce and fresh herbs. Other toppings are not required.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 02:27 PM

Hello Meg,the good thing is,you make it from scratch, do you make the topping in bulk,i buy passata and like you ,add herbs,i also add tomato puree,very thinly sliced onions, and crushed garlic,i then put it in small tubs and freeze it,a small tub goes such a long way i find,to much sauce i find a bit sickly,..how much do you think we save,when we make our own?...we have a Domino's and Pizza Time here,i make a large one,their's cost £14..yes it's fast food and they have over heads to pay,..i save so much money cooking from scratch.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 02:32 PM

I have done in the past. The best I ever made was after Christmas and I used up all the left overs.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 02:40 PM

Hi, Pauline. When the spirit moves me, I make my own dough and then make four - one or two to eat immediately (depending on who's home), and freeze the others.

My favorite way to prepare pizza is on the grill. I have kind of a thing about raw pizza dough, so I like it "thin and crispy," and cook both sides of the crust before adding the sauce. If I use cheese, it's in very small amounts, but they are otherwise always some combination of veggie, depending on what I have on hand. Though roasted pepper/onion/aubergine/spinach/mushroom is my favorite (and I often roast the veggie first to cut down on the moisture content), my kids' favorite is spinach and pineapple.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Hello Meg,the good thing is,you make it from scratch, do you make the topping in bulk,i buy passata and like you ,add herbs,i also add tomato puree,very thinly sliced onions, and crushed garlic,i then put it in small tubs and freeze it,a small tub goes such a long way i find,to much sauce i find a bit sickly,..how much do you think we save,when we make our own?...we have a Domino's and Pizza Time here,i make a large one,their's cost £14..yes it's fast food and they have over heads to pay,..i save so much money cooking from scratch.
Hi Pauline I make most things from scratch including bread, I don't like processed food if I can avoid it.

I freeze a few portions of sauce which I make with sweated shallots/garlic from my garden/strained tomatoes / fresh herbs/organic tomato paste.

I sometimes have to use tinned tomatoes in the sauce because most of the year the locally grown ones are not available or tasteless but I make sure I buy good quality Italian plum tomatoes.

Other times I roast locally grown preferably organic tomatoes .
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 03:28 PM

We make our own pizzas here as well

So much so Mr Missy built me this

We have the odd pizza party where we invite friends, they all love it. Best about the oven is its versatile and once pizzas are done and the heat dies down some we stick a spit in and rotisserie a couple of chickens

Ragdoll
Surrey,UK
Ragdoll is female  Ragdoll has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 03:36 PM

Cor Missy, that looks great, both oven and food.

I do make my own dough and toppings, not quite as posh as Missy, but in my counter top oven.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ragdoll ->
Cor Missy, that looks great, both oven and food.

I do make my own dough and toppings, not quite as posh as Missy, but in my counter top oven.

Thankyou

Tbh the weather here means it rarely gets used But it does make an excuse to party

I make pizza just as well in a frying pan. I use the frying pan as I like thin crust pizza and the frying pan gives a great crust
Ragdoll
Surrey,UK
Ragdoll is female  Ragdoll has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 04:05 PM

Oh thank you Missy, I prefer thin and crispy too, never given the frying pan a thought, but next time I will try it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top