Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 06:15 AM

Branch shredder.

I have bought one of these - very noisy - but frighteningly efficient at shredding branches that can't go in the recycling bin.

Can the finely shredded results be useful or do I just throw them away? I am sure I have seen bags of bark and stuff for mulching in garden centres at silly prices - would my 'homemade' shredding not be the same?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 06:26 AM

Re: Branch shredder.

Morning Tabs, yes they can be used as a mulch on your borders but they need to be rested for a few months first to allow the sap to neutralise, but if you've neither the space nor the patience then they can of course be taken to council recycling depots, who will then take the green waste away and compost it for use in agriculture.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 07:16 AM

Would it be OK to bag it and keep it in the garage until Autumn?
Wouldn't want it hanging around in there in Winter as the mice might find it a desirable des/res.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 07:43 AM

Ideally it really needs to be in the open or a compost bin where the air can get to it. It can be used as a mulch straight away around well established shrubs, but it may be a little harsh and acidic, depending on species of tree that is shredded, for young or annual plants.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

21-05-2018, 08:04 AM

Thank you, Barry, I thought you would know. It is mainly Dogwood - I plant one shrub - and ended up with a Dogwood forest - so I have been on a clearing mission!

I will take your advice and compost some of it for later and just a little around existing shrubs.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top