Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 08:28 PM

Re: Cheese

i leave mine in wrapper unless i grate it then i put it in a resealable sandwich bag
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I take mine out of the wrappers and wrap it in cheesecloth - then it goes in an open basket in the 'fridge. I never use cling film or foil on food at all.
ST, how long does it last in a cheesecloth?

We buy loads of cheese and its either feast of famine, sometimes it gets eaten as soon as its in the door, other times it can sit in the fridge for months
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
ST, how long does it last in a cheesecloth?

We buy loads of cheese and its either feast of famine, sometimes it gets eaten as soon as its in the door, other times it can sit in the fridge for months
A couple of weeks - if it's lucky! I eat a lot of cheese and also use it in cooking.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 11:06 PM

A couple of weeks - if it's lucky! I eat a lot of cheese and also use it in cooking.
lol

And its ok with all cheeses? Like really ripe brie and stilton?

Im trying to move away from cling film at home. I have some silicone lids that kind of flop and seal over bowls and can be used time and time again, but I have to admit, the cheese goes in cling film once opened
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 11:18 PM

lol

And its ok with all cheeses? Like really ripe brie and stilton?

Im trying to move away from cling film at home. I have some silicone lids that kind of flop and seal over bowls and can be used time and time again, but I have to admit, the cheese goes in cling film once opened
I don't eat Brie or Camembert, Missy, so am not sure if it would work for them. Stilton is OK - but dries out quicker than others. I never, ever, put cheese in cling film - it makes it sweat. Cheese needs to breathe. Have you thought of using wax paper or greaseproof paper?
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 11:27 PM

I keep it in it's original wrapper.
Mel15
Nowhere

22-05-2018, 11:55 PM

I don't eat Brie or Camembert, Missy, so am not sure if it would work for them. Stilton is OK - but dries out quicker than others. I never, ever, put cheese in cling film - it makes it sweat. Cheese needs to breathe. Have you thought of using wax paper or greaseproof paper?
Funny enough, thats what we used before cling film

I remember going to Liptons for the cheese, ham and bacon and it being wrapped in greaseproof and white paper with the price written on it to take to the till to pay

I shall have to re start using it. Just liked the idea of the cheesecloths as the only cheesecloth I remember was the skirts, tops and shirts from the 70's
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 11:59 PM

I remember going to Liptons for the cheese, ham and bacon and it being wrapped in greaseproof and white paper with the price written on it to take to the till to pay
I remember that Missy....gee, times sure have changed..

And, we would get our deli meats in brown paper, wrapped with price on it. I would keep it in the brown paper until it was used up.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2018, 01:23 PM

LOL, we must all think alike. I have a tupperware box for cheeses in my fridge too. I do take the cheese out of its wrapper but I then wrap it in strong foil because it has to share the box usually with my tub of seriously strong cheddar, my wodge of Parmesan cheese, a small packet of Brie and HWMO's 10 mature cheddar slices that he likes two of with his quarter pounder beefburger!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2018, 03:38 PM

I eat it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top