Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2018, 11:03 AM

Re: We've Been Conned!!

Shroppy I feel exactly the same about Jersey royals, when I was a child they were my favourite thing to eat. ( I even ate the leftovers when they went cold )

Over the years they have become less and less tasty, but people still buy them because of the name as they were considered the King if new potatoes. The price hasn't gone down but the quality has
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2018, 11:11 AM

New potatoes from Cyprus or Egypt are better tasting and a damn sight cheaper.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2018, 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=Pug;1423288]I am a charlatan,a scoundrel and a disgrace to society.

WHY?

...'coz I don't give a hoot WHERE my spuds come from or WHAT fancy name they're given. Mass-produced spuds taste yuk...full stop. So bring back Yeoman mash! [the Maris Piper,natch,is not included in this rant][/QUOTE

Yep Tatties don't taste like they used to 20 years ago, we rarely eat spuds anymore preferring to eat with a main meal Pasta , Cous cous, Rice, sweet corn on the cob.

Recently had some new spuds and they tasted like bloody cardboard, never again.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2018, 11:57 AM

I bought Jersey Royals a couple of weeks ago and they were tasteless and very disappointing.
Only a couple of weeks to go and I will be digging up my own Arran Pilot early potatoes, they have much more tase than the current Jerseys.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2018, 12:07 PM

I bought some “Taste the Difference” Jersey Royals this morning so I’ll be interested to see what they taste like now.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2018, 02:02 PM

Mags,if they're genuine,it just means you'll have a gobful of salty spud-that's the seaweed effect-but you'll pay ott for it. But nuts t'that-enjoy 'em,hon.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2018, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
Mags,if they're genuine,it just means you'll have a gobful of salty spud-that's the seaweed effect-but you'll pay ott for it. But nuts t'that-enjoy 'em,hon.
Pug I don't eat potatoes myself but I boiled some for Mr Mags this evening and he said they were very nice. Wish I'd tasted one now

They were £2 a kilo.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 01:31 PM

Meg, must admit, haven't heard of that variety. Bet they are nice though.

Like you UJ, besides the new potatoes, usually Charlottes, (or Pembrokeshire's if feeling flush - especially at 24p per spud!!) For the last 50 year I have never bought anything other than Reds for roasting, mashing and home-made chips. My dad, being Irish and therefore entitled to be called a connoisseur of Spuds () he would grow the beautiful large, floury Red Desiree potatoes in our back garden. Scrubbed and boiled in their jackets, once drained, they looked lovely sitting in a huge serving dish with their skins splitting and knobs of butter on the tops, they looked so inviting to stick a fork in one and peel that skin away. The flavour was amazing! Certainly enough to see off the bland, tasteless flavour of many of the potatoes on sale today.

Purwell, have to agree with you regarding Cyprus new potatoes. Had them at a restaurant and they tasted really nice with lots of flavour. Haven't tried Egyptian though. Unfortunately, I can never seem to find Cyprus potatoes for sale here anywhere in Shropshire. I will certainly keep a look-out for them though.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top