Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 01:48 PM

Oleanders

I thought I'd post a little warning about just how poisonous these plants are. I knew they were toxic but didn't realise how bad.

This was in my gardening magazine this week:

Deadly Beauties

Every part of an Oleander is toxic - even the smoke from burning plants is poisonous.

Contact with foliage, flowers and sap causes skin irritation, so always wear long sleeves and gloves.

Best grown in containers.

No doubt most Oleander fans know this already, but be warned anyone is thinking of buying one this year.
I am thinking of pets and grandchildren mostly.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 01:53 PM

Re: Oleanders

Good points Mups!
I actually went to a garden centre recently which had warnings on the poisonous plants, good to see.
Strangely, the other centres I've visited ownd by the same firm didn't have them.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 02:00 PM

WOW I'd no idea about that, thank you..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Good points Mups!
I actually went to a garden centre recently which had warnings on the poisonous plants, good to see.
Strangely, the other centres I've visited ownd by the same firm didn't have them.

Tess, I've been banging on about plant labelling for ages, and I entirely agree with you poisonous plants MUST be labelled.

I don't know how they have got away with it as long as they have. I know if I lost one of my dogs to poisoning through a plant I'd bought that hadn't been labelled with a warning, I would not let it rest!

If something is labelled as toxic and we still chose to eat it, it's our own fault if we became ill, but to handle, prune, trim, sniff flowers/plants that we thought were perfectly safe, and had been sold with no warning is a different ketle of fish.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 02:23 PM

I'm guilty of owning an Oleander tree I've had it in a large pot for getting on for 15 years now. As it's pot grown it hasn't grown too big and is easy to control and when it drops its leaves I always pick them up wearing gloves. I didn't realise how toxic they were until I read about it a couple of years after buying it.

It is just started coming into bud ......

ETA .... I have pruned it, wearing gloves. It has pretty flowers but knowing what I do now I would never recommend anyone else purchasing one.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

05-06-2018, 02:31 PM

Nothing wrong with having one Mags, yours looks well.
You already know about the dangers, but I meant my post for anyone who might be getting one and didn't know to be careful.

I personally wouldn't have one, mainly because young Gertie collects twigs and leaves and puts them in her bed for some strange reason, and I wouldn't want her fiddling about with it.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Nothing wrong with having one Mags, yours looks well.
You already know about the dangers, but I meant my post for anyone who might be getting one and didn't know to be careful.

I personally wouldn't have one, mainly because young Gertie collects twigs and leaves and puts them in her bed for some strange reason, and I wouldn't want her fiddling about with it.
I definitely wouldn't have another Mups, not because I've ever had a problem with it but because of common sense.

I might add that I have been fortunate owning a cat for 20 years without anything amiss happening but maybe I was lucky .... or Cassie was.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Tess, I've been banging on about plant labelling for ages, and I entirely agree with you poisonous plants MUST be labelled.

I don't know how they have got away with it as long as they have. I know if I lost one of my dogs to poisoning through a plant I'd bought that hadn't been labelled with a warning, I would not let it rest!

If something is labelled as toxic and we still chose to eat it, it's our own fault if we became ill, but to handle, prune, trim, sniff flowers/plants that we thought were perfectly safe, and had been sold with no warning is a different ketle of fish.
A garden centre which I sometimes use, groups all it’s poisonous plants in one area, with warning signs for parents with kids.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

05-06-2018, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
A garden centre which I sometimes use, groups all it’s poisonous plants in one area, with warning signs for parents with kids.

Gosh, that's excellent Rehab.
I can honestly say I have never seen that before.
I shall come with you next time.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 03:25 PM

You are more than welcome Mups

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top