Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 10:51 AM

Retirement.

I am recently retired, after a spell of medical problems. These still exist, so im not seeing much change at the moment, except i no longer need to deal with the civil service, and a small increase in wealth.

Nothing like i had intended when i had originally planned to retire.

So i do miss the camaraderie we had at work, also the feeling of being useful my job supplied, as a man i measured my worth by my abilities.

So now its a case of catching up very slowly, and to continue with the few things i can still do, with the hope ali can find new interest in the future.

I am wondering how others took to retirement, was the experience l you hoped it would be, or even better.?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 11:07 AM

Re: Retirement.

Tony & I had our own business selling clothes & footwear. We loved every minute of it but when we retired it didn't bother me.

I had lots of outside activities like gym, swimming, visiting National trust properties, theatre, lunching with friends etc etc....

Tony on the other hand missed it badly - the shop was his interest & his hobby. He went downhill from there on.

You'll be fine Nom so long as you have interests you can pursue and people to meet.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 11:24 AM

My husband retired early and has been retired for 20 years now. He never looked back - never missed work and I honestly think retirement has been very good for him. On the other hand I found retirement a bit difficult and as you say you do miss work colleagues and having go get up and go out every day. I am used to it now though and would not like to go back to work. Give yourself time Nom and I am sure you will come to enjoy it. Keep a circle of friends and just do things because you want to, not because you have to. Best wishes for your future life as a gentleman of leisure. There is some beautiful countryside to enjoy in Northumberland.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 11:29 AM

It does take time to adjust and get into a different mindset so that you can start enjoying the freedom that retirement brings.

It's like being a kid again when you had your much anticipated 6 week school holiday.. that you wished would never end. Joy of joys.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 11:33 AM

I retired in September of last year.

Everything has been mostly ok, I worked alone so there was no camaraderie or company to miss. I am fairly well disciplined so I still get up at a reasonably early hour, I still have a routine.

The only down bit was when I was ill earlier this year and was mostly out of action for a couple of months. I did get bored and missed being physically active. At the time it was all I could do to walk the dog Hopefully fully recovered now though.

I am not the type of person who goes anywhere, very much a home bod, (holidays is my idea of hell) but I have enough to do here to keep me ticking over.

I certainly don't miss work and even when I was at my lowest ebb I never wanted to go back.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 12:07 PM

I didn't actually retire, I'd had to stop working as I was in too much pain before my knee operations, now that I spend most of my time up north at my partner's place I work a lot helping out here and there with anything from mucking out the horses to cutting up a bucket load of neeps for the sheep to munch on, and a good bit more. I draw the line at driving that blooming tractor though If I did that then he'd be sat with his feet up while I did the field work. Ain't gonna happen.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 12:11 PM

It's lovely nom , it's your time now. I love my retirement , no one dictating to me what I can and can't do , and I get my state pension each week too .
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
It's lovely nom , it's your time now. I love my retirement , no one dictating to me what I can and can't do , and I get my state pension each week too .
I wanted my pension weekly Susan but the toerags made it fortnightly, a minor inconvenience.

Im like you Roxy i was forced to give up work, so the transition to retirement did feel so special, but i still hope to find somewhere for employment for a few days a week.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I wanted my pension weekly Susan but the toerags made it fortnightly, a minor inconvenience.

Im like you Roxy i was forced to give up work, so the transition to retirement did feel so special, but i still hope to find somewhere for employment for a few days a week.
Nom, I understand B&Q like to take on retired people part time. Wouldn't do any harm to contact your local store ….If you have one..
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 01:42 PM

I m not retired yet but while I really don't like to wish my time away I have to say I am so looking forward to not having to work anymore. I always make the most of my time off work I doubt very much I would get bored.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top