Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 07:15 PM

Customers down at the Bookies shop

I walked past three Bookie shops today.

Each of them had several young to middle aged men, in there, most clutching a sporting paper and/or staring at the TV screen.

I wonder what motivates these guys?

Are they there to "get out of the house"? It may be cheaper than going to the pub or the pictures.

Or are they convinced that, one day, they will have a big win?

Maybe some of them go out to work, on shifts. but lots of them are seemingly there a lot of the day.

Hardly any women, in my quick look, I wonder why not?

I wonder what the net gains are, versus losses?

Wonder how many are experts and win most of the time?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 07:20 PM

Re: Customers down at the Bookies shop

I like a bet on the horses

Our local has its own bookie so we have the luxury of an afternoons racing on the big screen , with a drink (coffee and tea are sold), company of others and a really good afternoon of fun

We have high rollers who put a on what I consider a lot of money ( a couple of hundred) and you have the likes of myself, £2 each way bets

For me it’s a bit of fun

I wouldn’t be sat in a bookies though
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 07:26 PM

It can be fun to have a bet now and again but I also know the dark side of gambling as my nephew used to be a gambling addict. He was only young and it took over and almost destroyed his life, thankfully he overcame his addiction and now never gambles on anything anymore, not even the lottery.

I don't understand myself why people would sit in a bookies all day, a lot of the time they are probably just hoping its a get rich quick scheme. I reckon there is only ever one winner in betting shops and thats the owners.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 07:53 PM

I have never been a gambler myself but I guess it becomes addictive, a bit like spending too much time on a forum.

My Dad still has a bet and might spend half an hour or so in the bookies but it normally only involves a few pounds. I do think it is partly to get out of the house, a bit of free time.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 10:23 PM

There are several bookies in my area, they provide steady employment for men and women as well as a pleasant place for unemployed and retired people to meet, chat, watch sports on a big screen, have a small flutter on the “numbers’ or the horses and dogs.
Most bookie shops nowadays are clean and respectable places to visit and staff are extra helpful if you are new to bookie visits and are not sure how to place a bet. The area would miss them if they were ever banned or closed down as some would like to see happen.
Sure there are the heavy addicted gamblers too, but most of them do their betting online now to get better odds, they have more privacy that way, whereas in a bookies shop nosy folks can see what your handing over the counter. The only thing I don’t like about them now is the slot machines where a lot of money can be lost very quickly, I never do lotto, slots, or numbers, I’m strictly a 2 quid on the nose horse backer, it’s a bit of fun as far as I’m concerned. Stick to that old rule and you’ll be OK “Never bet more than you can afford to lose”
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have never been a gambler myself but I guess it becomes addictive, a bit like spending too much time on a forum.

My Dad still has a bet and might spend half an hour or so in the bookies but it normally only involves a few pounds. I do think it is partly to get out of the house, a bit of free time.
I can kinda see the getting out of the house angle but there again, you can mostly do it on line I think.
My "getting out of the house" is walking my big hairy beast about ten miles a day. It's a lovely slice of piece.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 10:50 PM

I have never been inside a bookies.
I do see blokes outside them, looking pizzed off.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 11:00 PM

They're unfortunately desperate in the main and wholly naïve. Gambling is all rigged. The falsely create the idea that you can win if you're lucky, but the games and sports are all rigged.

Everything changed when technology allowed the creation of online gambling sites. That was a massive change for bookies. It now means that they can see an instant and "at-a-glance" breakdown of how much money has been placed on every eventuality. Where their biggest liabilities are and so on. With that vital information the games/sports can simply be rigged in their favour. All sport is now rigged, be it snooker, football, horse racing, boxing, whatever.

Massive amounts of money change hands. If the bookies are set to lose say £5m in national bets placed on a favourite horse, but stand to make £10m if an outside horse wins, then they can simply pay large amounts of money to the 2 jockeys involved asking the favourite to hold back and the donkey to go and win. Same for all sports. They've been proven to be crooked in the past. It's all a mugs game now.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I like a bet on the horses

Our local has its own bookie so we have the luxury of an afternoons racing on the big screen , with a drink (coffee and tea are sold), company of others and a really good afternoon of fun

We have high rollers who put a on what I consider a lot of money ( a couple of hundred) and you have the likes of myself, £2 each way bets

For me it’s a bit of fun

I wouldn’t be sat in a bookies though
Hi

I like horses, but never bet on them, I would jinx anything.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 05:08 AM

If it wasn't for the gamblers there would be no horse racing.
My dad said to me "See that swanky posh new car outside the bookies,that's his"
I took the hint.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top