Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 08:35 PM

English Strawberries

Hi

Just having my first of the season.

I got them this afternoon, an honesty box out in the sticks.

They are huge, but so lovely and juicy.

Beats the supermarket ones every time.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 08:47 PM

Re: English Strawberries

Lucky you,we used to pick our own here,but the farm stopped doing it,to many people helping themselves,you can't beat an English Strawberry, Delicious! .
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
They are huge, but so lovely and juicy.

Beats the supermarket ones every time.

Spot on there Swim. I have absolutely despaired of the sub-standard strawberries that have been in the supermarkets all year. Just tasteless rubbish, seldom properly ripe and often shipped half way round the planet, same with the raspberries.

I buy only Scottish or British as a result and do my best to find good varieties. Supermarkets mostly stock the rather tasteless old Elsanta variety, the most massively produced.

There are much better ones. Driscolls, Sonata, Cenenary etc.

But you just can't beat them straight out of a proper farm.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 09:00 PM

Ah ... but what do you have them with for the ultimate wicked luxury?

Naked. .on their own?
Drenched in thick double cream?
Or with a dollop of rich creamy ice cream?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Lucky you,we used to pick our own here,but the farm stopped doing it,to many people helping themselves,you can't beat an English Strawberry, Delicious! .
awww, I used to love strawberry picking, always someone to spoil the fun.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 09:03 PM

Don't mention strawberries to me
I bought some from Marks the other day and could have been eating turnip.

My perpetual strawberries are newly planted this year the last lot having expired so they are not ready yet.

I have one plant of 'Cambridge Favourite' with a strawberry that was almost ready which I nurtured lovingly.

This morning I want out to the garden to find it on the border half eaten I am so disappointed...
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Ah ... but what do you have them with for the ultimate wicked luxury?

Naked. .on their own?
Drenched in thick double cream?
Or with a dollop of rich creamy ice cream?
now I'm drooling
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Don't mention strawberries to me
I bought some from Marks the other day and could have been eating turnip.

My perpetual strawberries are newly planted this year the last lot having expired so they are not ready yet.

I have one plant of 'Cambridge Favourite' with a strawberry that was almost ready which I nurtured lovingly.

This morning I want out to the garden to find it on the border half eaten I am so disappointed...

I used to like strawberries (British ones in season). I bought some this week, really nice and juicy and tasty.
But, they didn't float my boat at all.

I think I've gone off them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->

I used to like strawberries (British ones in season). I bought some this week, really nice and juicy and tasty.
But, they didn't float my boat at all.

I think I've gone off them.
Me too Pesta except for my homegrown ones which are full of flavour and make the taste buds tingle.
Most of those on sale in the shops are grown for their ability to keep for a few days and to travel well rather than flavour.

I grow a variety which has been crossed with an alpine strawberry and delicious but they wouldn't stand the rigours
of being grown commercially.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Me too Pesta except for my homegrown ones which are full of flavour and make the taste buds tingle.
Most of those on sale in the shops are grown for their ability to keep for a few days and to travel well rather than flavour.

I grow a variety which has been crossed with an alpine strawberry and delicious but they wouldn't stand the rigours
of being grown commercially.
Oh, they sounds yummy Meg. Makes me want to try them..

I keep hankering for blackcurrants. I wondered recently if I should grow some.

When The Child was little we lived in a house with quite a large garden. So many fruits in the garden too. Plums, gooseberries, raspberries, redcurrants, whitecurrants, blackcurrants and rhubarb. I used to make jam with some of them.

I could murder some blackcurrants right now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top