Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 05:04 PM

Hoarders

This is a Freeview show I sometimes like.

The thing is, I get how some people obsessively collect stuff and their properties become crammed and hard to navigate. I have a distant friend who is that way with books. Books everywhere and hard to walk round them. And more than he could ever read. But that is more or less a benign neurosis.

It's the houses where people haven't ever cleaned that get me. Years and years of old food, dead mice and flies everywhere; those places are a definite health risk.

Do you know any hoarders, small or huge in the amount that they hoard?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 05:09 PM

Re: Hoarders

My husband would be a hoarder given half a chance, but I have a clear out on a regular basis. As long as he doesn't notice what I am getting rid of there is no problem, if he does he gets uptight!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 05:12 PM

Yes Ffosse my sister is a hoarder, Her house is clean but it is packed with books magazines and newspapers it would be a mammoth task to clear it out. I was there the other day and asked why save old newspapers? she said they had interesting articles in them that she might want to read again. She has five bedrooms all full
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
My husband would be a hoarder given half a chance, but I have a clear out on a regular basis. As long as he doesn't notice what I am getting rid of there is no problem, if he does he gets uptight!
What does/would he hoard, Tara? I'm interested.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

18-06-2018, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Yes Ffosse my sister is a hoarder, Her house is clean but it is packed with books magazines and newspapers it would be a mammoth task to clear it out. I was there the other day and asked why save old newspapers? she said they had interesting articles in them that she might want to read again. She has five bedrooms all full
Now that sounds a bit mad. I don't understand why people collect newspapers and magazines, let alone 5 bedrooms full.

The hoarders episode I watched concerned a woman who was addicted to VHS tapes, yes, VHS in 2018. She would have about 6 video recorders connected to 6 televisions all recording something.

And she had thousands of tapes, some stored outside, water damaged but she wouldn't get rid of them, the rest in every room of her house, the walls, floors, cupboards, VHS tapes everywhere and with her constantly recording.

That's what I call mentally unwell; even she conceded that she never watched any of them.

I'm a minimalist: I've got so much music and so many books (more than I'll ever read or listen to) but they are all online (apart from a few) accessible to me at any point and taking up no space. It means that I can choose what I want to read, listen to or view which I think is healthy, certainly healthier than having rooms halls and passageways, bathrooms filled with junk.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 06:01 PM

My parents are boarderline hoarders. They aren’t anything like the people on those shows though but being clean & organized certainly isn’t a priority in their life. Those people on the shows are just ‘plainly put,’ disgusting.
I understand it’s a mental disorder but I can’t personally wrap my head around the fact that some people actually live like that.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
What does/would he hoard, Tara? I'm interested.
Why would you be interested?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

18-06-2018, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Why would you be interested?
Because you mentioned that your husband would be a hoarder if you let him - that's interesting.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

18-06-2018, 06:32 PM

My mother became a hoarder of just about everything before we deposited her in a care home. It took my poor sister ages to get rid of all the junk from the apartment in which she was living, which belonged to my sisters and I after our father's death.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 06:56 PM

My mum was a hoarder too, it may come in useful was her reply every time I tried to tidy things up a bit. It got to the point she wouldn't let me go into another room as she was scared I'd start chucking or tidying.
After she went into the nursing home It took me five weeks to clear her house, I had to go through every single thing. I lost count of the runs I made to the Skip Site, at least three every morning.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top