Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 05:48 PM

How big is your TV and does it suit the size of your living room?

Over the weekend I was in the house of a neighbour whose living room was perhaps medium sized, certainly bigger than mine which is quite small.

His TV was massive, though, 65" or so that it looked cartoonishly out of place. I don't know if it was 4k but you could see the pixels and I would have had a hard time finding a comfortable enough distance to view a programme.

When I last had a TV, 7 years ago, it was just 22" but I had it near a chair so had no problems watching it although it was on the small side.

And what about years ago? I remember we had a 19" Sanyo in our living room in the 70s and it seemed big enough at the time. I don't think you could even buy big-screened TVs then unless you had some type of projector system.

With my 32" TV I'm glad it's exactly the right size for my room. I still need my glasses for the finer details ie. to read text on the screen but it's perfect for me.

I think also that you can buy a much bigger screen for not that much more money. The amount I paid for my Sony could have got me a 40"+ model of another make.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 05:57 PM

Re: How big is your TV and does it suit the size of your living room?

I had to have a look because I couldn't remember. It's a 40'' and fits in an alcove nicely.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I had to have a look because I couldn't remember. It's a 40'' and fits in an alcove nicely.
Do you use its own speakers or have it attached to a soundbar or similar? I've found that most TVs have tinny sounding speakers as there is less room to place them in skinny designs.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 06:09 PM

Mine's 42" and doesn't look too big for the room. I sit about.....12 feet away from it to watch it.

It's not wall mounted, it's on a glass stand.

As for sound....I'm a wee bit deaf in one ear so I always wear cordless headphones when watching it.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 06:11 PM

We have a 40" TV, which is slightly bigger than we would have liked, we don't like a TV dominating the room.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 06:18 PM

Ours is 32" - bought it around 9 years ago. I run it through a separate speaker system with a sub woofer.
Once it's due for the chop, I'll go for a 40" - but that's as big as I'll go. I've seen too many friends houses where the size of the tv just looks daft.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 06:22 PM

We visited someone in 2005 who had a TV, which took up the whole of one wall of their living room. I would hate that.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

18-06-2018, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Ours is 32" - bought it around 9 years ago. I run it through a separate speaker system with a sub woofer.
Once it's due for the chop, I'll go for a 40" - but that's as big as I'll go. I've seen too many friends houses where the size of the tv just looks daft.
Yes, the one I saw on Saturday looked daft.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 06:34 PM

Mine is a 42in Panasonic, which is just about right. Saw a 65in in a shop window on Saturday, and I could'nt believe how massive it was. Apparently because of the World Cup, there has been a huge increase in the sale of TVs, especially 55in & 65in. Agree about the tinny sound though. I have a pair of PC speakers plugged in to the telly to give more oomph, Certainly makes a difference.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 06:38 PM

Ours is a 32" and is plenty big enough for us, certainly is for me as I don't watch a lot of TV.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top