Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Duckie
Australia
Duckie is male  Duckie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2013, 10:32 PM

Ovarian Cysts

My wife has been diagnosed with a 13 cm ovarian cyst. Have appointment with oncologist next week to find out if it is cancerous. She doesn't feel any pain yet. GP said it was "highly suspicious".
My wife is Japanese. She is talking about wanting to go back to Japan for the op. because "Japanese are more advanced with this kind of cancer treatment." Does anyone know much about advanced treatments? We live in an Australian city. I imagined Australia was pretty up to date on this kind of thing.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2013, 08:16 AM

Re: Ovarian Cysts

Wait until you've seen the oncologist next week - he'll know more about it than a GP who shouldn't have said that to you without knowing the facts and until the tests are back, he won't have the facts - just his guess (which could be right or wrong but why add to a patients worry).

As with most cancers surgically removed, the success of the surgery is largely dependent on the surgeon concerned so if it does come to that - make sure you choose your surgeon wisely and ensure he performs enough of these procedures annually to make him above being just competent. Don't be afraid to question him on the amount of these surgeries he carries out each year and what his success rates are and will it be him performing the surgery or one of his team - you are entitled to that information.
Duckie
Australia
Duckie is male  Duckie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2013, 11:01 AM

Good advice thanks. Ben.
She is 52 years old. Post menopause so higher risk I think. That's why GP is concerned.
Duckie
Australia

30-05-2013, 09:40 PM

Operation next week in Australia. "borderline cancer" she was told. Full hysterectomy, appendectomy and 13 cm cyst to be removed. 6 weeks recovery time apparently. better get used to being the carer now and walking the dog.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 09:46 PM

Give her best wishes from me! One thing I heard after I had my appendectomy was that if the surgeon uses special oil (think it may be coconut oil) it stops you getting adhesions, which is what I got, my guts stuck together & made a colonoscopy impossible when I needed one (lot of bowel cancer in family)
Duckie
Australia

30-05-2013, 10:07 PM

thanks for that twizard
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 08:25 AM

Hi youngatart - at least it's borderline and not not a developed cancer so that has to be good news. I wish her well and I hope you spoil her rotten afterwards
Duckie
Australia

31-05-2013, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Hi youngatart - at least it's borderline and not not a developed cancer so that has to be good news. I wish her well and I hope you spoil her rotten afterwards
I've already put my foot in it by asking whether I have to stay at the hospital all day on the first day.
It's not that I don't care. it's just that I lack er...um..experience, tact, sometimes.. My younger brother is much more thoughtful in this area.
Thanks for your concern ben varrey. I thought you were male with that user name at first by the way.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 09:38 AM

Sending best wishes to your wife for her coming operations.
I think we all say things the wrong way when faced with this type of information about what your wife is going to be going through.
No point sitting in the hospital if the operation is going to take hours, and then in recovery.
Just make sure you spoil her after.
Duckie
Australia

31-05-2013, 09:46 AM

thanks Shirley
It's definitely my turn to spoil.
She played carer twice already for me for my carpel tunnel and hernia operations.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top