Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2014, 09:56 PM

Re: Just when you thought it was safe

in the FE it is typhoon; USA and GB - hurricanes - OZ - cyclones - they are all the same - very dangerous to man, beast and property! - whatever you choose to call them
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 09:51 PM

It seems the answer is blown in the wind. What about Tornado's? are they as bad and as dangerous?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 02:34 AM

I thought that was my favorite Yankie car?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I thought that was my favorite Yankie car?
Nah, it's a plane.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

16-04-2014, 11:01 AM

is it a plane, is it a bird, no it's superman!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
It seems the answer is blown in the wind. What about Tornado's? are they as bad and as dangerous?
Much smaller measured in metres rather than kilometres for cyclones - I think they are caused purely by the right wind conditions. I saw a very small one form on Sydney harbour, scatter a yacht race, capsize a couple of boats, come ashore, rip the roof off part of a house very close to the water and dissipate. (that was in the 60s)

About a year ago one hit Kiama near where I live it took a week for them to decide it was a tornado not just a severe storm cell. The damage was confined to a very narrow strip a few houses away were undamaged
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/s...ermath/?cs=300

When I was looking for the details about the Kiama Tornado I found this:

For a cyclone/hurricane/typhoon to form several preconditions must be met:

• Warm ocean waters (of at least 26.5°C) throughout a sufficient depth (unknown how deep, but at least on the order of 50 m). Warm waters are necessary to fuel the heat engine of the tropical cyclone.
  • An atmosphere which cools fast enough with height (is "unstable" enough) such that it encourages thunderstorm activity. It is the thunderstorm activity which allows the heat stored in the ocean waters to be liberated for the tropical cyclone development.
  • Relatively moist layers near the mid-troposphere (5 km). Dry mid levels are not conducive for allowing the continuing development of widespread thunderstorm activity.
  • A minimum distance of around 500 km from the equator. Some of the earth's spin (Coriolis force) is needed to maintain the low pressure of the system. (Systems can form closer to the equator but it's a rare event)
  • A pre-existing disturbance near the surface with sufficient spin (vorticity) and inflow (convergence). Tropical cyclones cannot be generated spontaneously. To develop, they require a weakly organised system with sizeable spin and low level inflow.
  • Little change in the wind with height (low vertical wind shear, i.e. less than 40 km/h from surface to tropopause). Large values of wind shear tend to disrupt the organisation of the thunderstorms that are important to the inner part of a cyclone.
Having these conditions met is necessary, but not sufficient as many disturbances that appear to have favourable conditions do not develop.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 11:44 AM

Thanks for that information Bruce.
david
Hervey Bay Australia
david is male  david has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 11:49 PM

The main word is Tropical.
I have a small place on Horn Island, Just north of Cape York. It has been affected by cyclones but never direct hit, But with Cyclones and Mother Nature you always have the thought it may be your turn.
You always get plenty of time to prepare as it hovers around and as most places are constructed to take the force "Hopefully" Most people just stick around and ride them out.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2014, 05:13 PM

I'm glad I live where I live, no earthquakes, no tornadoes, no cyclones, no volcanoes, no landslides, no tsunamis.

Aaah, just the birds singing, fresh air & 4 wonderful seasons (well, hot humid summers pretty much s*ck!)
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 03:22 PM

Oh my goodness - terrifying and exciting. I think the problem with weather events is that we have simply no control whatsoever and the best we can do is run and hide - I know that would be my strategy.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top