Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 11:03 AM

Re: Staffies

Originally Posted by Mups ->
It was found in 2007 that the majority of dog-bite accidents happen at home and involve a familiar dog and children under the age of seven. In addition, the prevalence of bites in children is double that in the general population.
I read an interesting article saying that in Jersey all year-one pupils are taught how to stay safe around dogs. It is a scheme called the "Speak Dog and Stay Safe scheme", and I thought it was a brilliant idea. Apparently it has been very well received by teachers,, parents and thoroughly enjoyed by the children.
Most small children have a lack of understanding on how dogs communicate and this is often why they get bitten. For example, a child hugs a dog tightly round the neck. The dog may not enjoy this, they might feel trapped or in pain, so they show their teeth. The child interprets this as the dog 'smiling', so hugs more. The dog is trying to communicate with the child but the child does not understand the signals. Eventually the dog shows an increased reaction, such as snapping or even biting. Being as the child is probably on face level with the anxious dog, its probably the face that will get wounded. This situation could have been avoided.
There are many things some children do to the family pet intending to play, but its not often the dogs way of playing. He might have been asleep, or tried to get away into another room, and only snaps as a last resort, but he'll no doubt get the blame anyway, without the adult even aware of what led up to his behaviour.
Why don't our schools teach the 'Speak Dog' Scheme too? That's how I see it anyway.
That sounds like a great scheme.

I believe any dog can get grumpy on occasions, e.g. if we are woken up suddenly, many of us would be grumpy, so why not assume the dog feels the same? We wouldn't enjoy having our hair pulled, so why shouldn't the dog object having his ears or tail pulled, it's intrusive behaviour.
Dogs are so very good at reading our expressions and body language, it's sad some dog owners can't do the same in return.
Absolutely agree. My dog Bennie is one of the friendliest I have ever known and loves people and most other dogs. I have never seen him snap at anyone, he just wants to play and have cuddles. BUT he sometimes stays with a friend who has a toddler grandson and she reports that he sometimes growls at the child when he tries to hug Bennie in the chair he sleeps in. So even my happy-go-lucky little man can get grumpy.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 01:34 PM

I say a big well done too. I attended a training school last summer and 3 of us had rescue staffies (all from the same kennels) and all 3 of us swapped ideas and tips on how to take care of them and behave responsibly and what I found the most interesting and alarming was the volume of prejudice we had suffered as a result of having staffies. One of the group muzzled her staffie as he was so bad with dogs and she was subjected to all kinds of abuse on the street from parents etc... To my mind they had less to worry about than an unmuzzled dog - but there you go. All 3 of us agreed also that our dogs were absolutely wonderful with children.

Originally Posted by Abbey ->
I say a big well done to anyone who has taken on a rescued Staffie and keeps it under control and behaves with it in a responsible manner . It's a chance of life for some of these poor unwanted dogs .
It's not their fault they are overbred by idiots churning them out for the chance of making a few pounds . The other day in the town I saw a poor wee Staffie pup with a horrible man and it occurred to me what chance did this pup have . I think in the right hands from when they are pups they can be great dogs but unfortunately all the idiots seem to get them .
Sadly I am not in the position to take on a rescued Staffie as I have 4 very quiet dogs here who wouldn't stand a chance in an altercation with a Staffie . However if I was in the position of having no other dogs I would definitely consider one as I am a very responsible dog owner .
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 01:37 PM

What a wonderful scheme and a scheme that could save so much heartache. People don't seem to realise that at a certain age children are level facing with dogs which can to some nervous dogs be really quite intimidating - add to that they're unpredictable flaying around of arms and hands, fingers etc.. and a tendency to cuddle and you do have a recipe for disaster. Just a few simple rules and boundaries and you have a happy dog and a safe child. Simple in my opinion.

It was found in 2007 that the majority of dog-bite accidents happen at home and involve a familiar dog and children under the age of seven. In addition, the prevalence of bites in children is double that in the general population.
I read an interesting article saying that in Jersey all year-one pupils are taught how to stay safe around dogs. It is a scheme called the "Speak Dog and Stay Safe scheme", and I thought it was a brilliant idea. Apparently it has been very well received by teachers,, parents and thoroughly enjoyed by the children.
Most small children have a lack of understanding on how dogs communicate and this is often why they get bitten. For example, a child hugs a dog tightly round the neck. The dog may not enjoy this, they might feel trapped or in pain, so they show their teeth. The child interprets this as the dog 'smiling', so hugs more. The dog is trying to communicate with the child but the child does not understand the signals. Eventually the dog shows an increased reaction, such as snapping or even biting. Being as the child is probably on face level with the anxious dog, its probably the face that will get wounded. This situation could have been avoided.
There are many things some children do to the family pet intending to play, but its not often the dogs way of playing. He might have been asleep, or tried to get away into another room, and only snaps as a last resort, but he'll no doubt get the blame anyway, without the adult even aware of what led up to his behaviour.
Why don't our schools teach the 'Speak Dog' Scheme too? That's how I see it anyway.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top