Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 01:47 PM

Re: Did You Feel Pressured To Have Children?

interesting post! years ago it was expected you'd have children to follow in the family tradition but I knew it wasn't for me and thank God I didn't give in to pressure from others
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 02:05 PM

I don't have children either.
I respect women that don't give into the pressure, especially, if you are not maternal.
Nothing worse than a Mother giving birth to an unwanted child ....
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 03:33 PM

I prefer pets to children any day, they don't answer back and usually behave better
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 07:29 PM

Think people have children because they need someone to like them
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire

17-04-2014, 07:42 PM

as they get older they don't and respect goes out the window too!
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 08:48 PM

I'm really interested to read all these views that echo my own about not wanting children. I imagined I'd get a real slating from most women on here who have a family. Sue's right - some people do have them so they will have someone to like them which is not only terribly sad but terribly misguided too. I was told once that without them, who would look after me when I'm old, like they were unpaid carers in waiting or something. Someone else said (a man) they wanted a mini-me who resembled them!

My view is that most people take more care choosing a new car than they do deciding on whether to reproduce.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
So right - my Mother should never have had children
You don't mean that!!

I had 2 children and of course raising them was not easy at times, it's a job like any other, but on the whole I enjoyed their childhood. Their teenage years were not without drama but we made it through.
I certainly don't expect them to look after me in my twilight years!
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire

17-04-2014, 09:14 PM

I feel you can be more independent if you don't have children, they take over you life and that thought put me off many years ago, I've always enjoyed working and have reaped the rewards from it.

I suppose I was selfish in a way but my thoughts are, you only live once so enjoy it to the full and personally I felt I couldn't have done so with children, my life would never again be my own and I'd have had a huge responsibility that I knew wasn't what I wanted or could have coped with
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
You don't mean that!!

I had 2 children and of course raising them was not easy at times, it's a job like any other, but on the whole I enjoyed their childhood. Their teenage years were not without drama but we made it through.
I certainly don't expect them to look after me in my twilight years!
I do mean it gal - she didn't have a maternal bone in her body - I was palmed off to anyone that would take me ....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I always find it interesting that some people who have decided not to have children consider themselves, or are considered by others to be, selfish. I don't think that is true.

My view is that in some ways people who want to have children are selfish. I know there is a lot of selflessness along the way once you are a parent, but if you decide to have children it is because you WANT children, for whatever reason. In other words, deciding to have a child is doing something to please yourself as the parent. Ergo, some selfishness involved?

So I'd be quite interested to hear why people do decide they want children. Perhaps they satisfy a need for something? I've got my own views on why people may want children, but would love to hear others verbalise why they wanted them. I certainly would have liked children, but it didn't happen.
I don't know about anyone else but for me it was an almost primeval thing, a need to have a baby. I also had a want to pass on some of the things I had been lucky enough to have in my life, happiness, kindness and love. We felt we had a lot we could give a child and that was what made us try so hard.

Also wanted to give grandchildren to my MIL who really wanted them, she had parented her first grandchild for 18 months only to have the mother return and take the child away to live hundreds of miles from her and she was almost grieving for the child. If we cold have given her a grand child she would have loved it.

She was great with the children we parented despite them being no relation to her at all, makes me sad to think how she missed out.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top