Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 11:05 PM

Bugs, Grubs and Insects

Anyone ever had problems with Vine Weeval in their garden tubs?
Whilst refreshing the top couple of inches of compost in one of my camellias, I discovered some young Weevals feeding off the roots, horrid things. Then to my horror, I found one of my beautiful Rhodenderons had an even worse batch of the blighters .
I bought some Provado Vine Weeval killer and hope its not too late to save the plants. I don't like using such strong chemicals normally, but the cold temperatures at night at the moment would kill off organic nematodes. I hope the stuff I used does the trick in time.
I've also had some greenfly on a couple of roses already. I reckon it will be a bad year for bugs because the winter wasn't cold enough to kill them.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 05:17 AM

Re: Bugs, Grubs and Insects

You are probably right about it being a bad year for bugs Mups. I use sprays otherwise most of my fruit and vegetables would be ruined. Most of the old type sprays are now banned so I assume the ones you can buy are better.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
You are probably right about it being a bad year for bugs Mups. I use sprays otherwise most of my fruit and vegetables would be ruined. Most of the old type sprays are now banned so I assume the ones you can buy are better.
Or safer, lot of chemical sprays now are not effective but at least they are not giving you cancer etc.

Some of the traditional methods may be better or natural nemetodes are good with many garden pests.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 10:38 PM

[QUOTE=Julie1962;443247]Or safer, lot of chemical sprays now are not effective but at least they are not giving you cancer etc.

Some of the traditional methods may be better or natural nemetodes are good with many garden pests.[/QUOTE]

Trouble is Julie, the nematodes I was going to buy won't survive if the temperature drops below 5 degrees, and the last few nights have dropped to around freezing. Another one will be killed off if it is below 12 degrees, so that is why I had to resort to the chemicals. This stuff can't be used to any food crops or compost that food crops will be grown in even, so it must be nasty stuff, which is always a worry with the dogs sniffing about. I have taken every precaution possible to safeguard them.
I am desperate to save that Rhodedenderon because it came off a very special dog's grave, and I brought it with me when I moved. I would be heartbroken if it dies.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 08:01 AM

We used to use them on our allotment we would build a small poly tunnel thingy so they would not get too cold. Wonder if that could be adapted ?
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 08:52 AM

Provado Vine Weevil Killer is systemic and kills a wide range of pests. It keeps working inside the plant to give useful reduction of greenfly, blackfly and whitefly for up to 4 – 6 weeks, and Vine Weevil grubs for up to four months.
You can use Provado on all ornamental plants in pots and containers indoors and outdoors.
I personally prefer the wash to nematodes.

I have been spraying all my cuttings with organic sprays, I've had quite an infestation of white fly in the greenhouse.
Smells quite garlicky in there
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

17-04-2014, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Provado Vine Weevil Killer is systemic and kills a wide range of pests. It keeps working inside the plant to give useful reduction of greenfly, blackfly and whitefly for up to 4 – 6 weeks, and Vine Weevil grubs for up to four months.
You can use Provado on all ornamental plants in pots and containers indoors and outdoors.

I personally prefer the wash to nematodes.

I have been spraying all my cuttings with organic sprays, I've had quite an infestation of white fly in the greenhouse.

Yes, I read all that info on the box thanks Janela.
Why do you prefer the chemical to the nematodes, did they not work for you? I would normally prefer gentler ways but I've gone crashing in with the serious stuff this time as in one tub there were so many of the damn things, and I really don't want to lose that shrub, I just hope its not too late.
I phoned the company to ask when I could feed the plant to help it recover and she said to wait a couple of weeks so that the chemical had chance to work first.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 10:14 AM

I have never used many chemicals in the garden either but have had to resort to a spray this year. My roses this year are covered in greenfly and little white flies, if I don't do something drastic then they'll be ruined cos the normal squishing of the blighters is not enough, I'd be out there all day!!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
I've had quite an infestation of white fly in the greenhouse.
I used to get quite serious infestations of whitefly in my greenhouse until I discovered those yellow sticky papers and now I never get any on my tomato plants.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 11:24 AM

I'm sorry if I appeared to be stating the obvious Mups - No rudeness intended.
There are those that have no idea it is systemic.

Any ways, I don't like the idea of thousands of nematodes or parasitic worms infesting the pots. It won't be long before we hear that the so called friendly nematodes are mutating
There are enough unfriendly ones causing damage to crops, like the ones found last year that caused root rot and wilting
on tomatoes and peppers.

What I did with my pot plants was to dig them up, wash the roots, repot and then a gentle spray.

I wish you luck with that particular shrub, Mups.

I've got some of those sticky yellow hang ups Alan my granddaughter thinks they are gross smothered in flies, can't understand why I got the whitefly maybe I hung them too high?

May I say how nice it is to be discussing the garden again - even if it is about bugs and beasties.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top