Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 03:08 PM

Re: Borrowed me a ....

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Yes, of course language is ever-evolving, and we are getting new words all the time, but that is not to say that language should evolve at the expense of basic vocabulary and grammar.
The fault doesn't really lie with the person using what we perceive as irritating language, but with those who should have been responsible for teaching them language in the first place. That is what I think is sad.
I agree with this too.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 12:58 AM

You also have to remember that young people have been brought up in an age when they hardly need to be able to spell and punctuate correctly. I'm not saying it's a good thing but it's the reality of the current world. The technology that our generation invented is there for them to use whether we like it or not and it encourages short cuts and text speak via the predictive text and cutting costs of short messages.

'You should try telling some young people that they need to be able to write and spell correctly - they look at you bemused because they know they can get by without it. You barely need to read these days - you can listen to radio, TV, have your PC or phone talk to you. We can't stop this - it's much too late. We might not like it but the world is a very different place now.

As for Dyslexia - I taught in a Dyslexia unit in Maidstone for a year and it was a very interesting experience. My eldest son is severely dyslexic due to lack of oxygen at birth. The term simply means difficulty with the written word. There are many causes for this including birth trauma, genetics, pre-birth problems etc and we now know that there are many more people who have trouble learning to read and spell despite how well they are taught than we ever previously thought. If you diagnose, you have a responsibility to treat. That is an important reason for "labelling".
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 02:08 AM

Just remembered another spelling oddity, and this one crops up so often I wonder whether it is a fault with predictive text or something similar. I am referring to the frequently written 'dose' instead of 'does'? Well not predictive then 'cos my pad did not come up with it, so obviously it is simply a case of people being unable to spell a four letter word correctly.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=jaywalker;443658]You also have to remember that young people have been brought up in an age when they hardly need to be able to spell and punctuate correctly. I'm not saying it's a good thing but it's the reality of the current world. The technology that our generation invented is there for them to use whether we like it or not and it encourages short cuts and text speak via the predictive text and cutting costs of short messages.

That is so true Jaywalker, things are changing at greater speed than ever before, nothing can stop change, and you can bet your life when the kids of today are our age they'll get their chance to moan and complain about the kids of their day.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 09:57 AM

Hard to imagine that Jem - so funny to think that may happen
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 04:00 PM

I am bemused at signwriting on vehicles and shops that is incorrect.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I am bemused at signwriting on vehicles and shops that is incorrect.
Are incorrect Jazzi.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 07:43 PM

Are you sure, Pats? The signwriting is incorrect. Non?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Are you sure, Pats? The signwriting is incorrect. Non?
Yes, cranberry, I'm with you. The subject is singular, not plural.
Pats
Lincolnshire

17-04-2014, 10:41 PM

I would have thought that vehicles and shops made it plural.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top