Join for free
Page 20 of 46 « First < 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 09:26 AM

Re: Faith Schools: Time to scrap them?

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Faith schools in general seem to get better results IMO time to bring all schools up to those standards and use them as a template for how to do it. Any that aren't good obviously close them or make them better but don't deny kids a chance just because as a society we no longer like religion.
And how would you do that, Julie, if you accept my assertion that the children and their families are the root cause?

Throw lots of money at them?
Fiddle the figures?
Make them 'academies'?

It's all been tried.

I'm afraid that in areas where parents don't give a toss about education, and hence neither do their children, you're on a hiding to nothing.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
And how would you do that, Julie, if you accept my assertion that the children and their families are the root cause?

Throw lots of money at them?
Fiddle the figures?
Make them 'academies'?

It's all been tried.

I'm afraid that in areas where parents don't give a toss about education, and hence neither do their children, you're on a hiding to nothing.
Discipline within schools, but also making children ready for school. I'm a big fan of pre schooling, from perhaps 3 years old, just a few hours a day to make sure children are ready to learn. Require parents to step up to plate, if they don't or can't are they really suitable to be parents ? We allow people to get away with too much, if you treat an animal like some treat their children they would be in trouble.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 11:00 AM

Discipline within schools, but also making children ready for school. I'm a big fan of pre schooling, from perhaps 3 years old, just a few hours a day to make sure children are ready to learn. Require parents to step up to plate, if they don't or can't are they really suitable to be parents ? We allow people to get away with too much, if you treat an animal like some treat their children they would be in trouble.
And how would you force those parents to change their ways?

It's not that I disagree with you, but I cannot see our do-gooders forgetting all about their favourite topic - 'human rights' - to permit such things as stoppage of all handouts or the threat of prison if they don't take responsibility, etc.

I suspect that you'll suggest that we 'talk to them'.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
And how would you force those parents to change their ways?

It's not that I disagree with you, but I cannot see our do-gooders forgetting all about their favourite topic - 'human rights' - to permit such things as stoppage of all handouts or the threat of prison if they don't take responsibility, etc.

I suspect that you'll suggest that we 'talk to them'.
I'm not sure talking will reach many I think it has to be financial penalties, fines, along side parenting classes. The fines could pay for the classes and not cost tax payers a penny.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 11:59 AM

We have to do away with all "human rights" and force the little buggers to learn you know, bring back the birch. That is what so many of the right wing dinosaurs would like to see.
(Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells)
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

21-09-2016, 01:13 PM

I'm not sure talking will reach many I think it has to be financial penalties, fines, along side parenting classes. The fines could pay for the classes and not cost tax payers a penny.
I'm damned sure that talking won't reach any of them!
Your other suggestions are more up their street.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

21-09-2016, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
We have to do away with all "human rights" and force the little buggers to learn you know, bring back the birch. That is what so many of the right wing dinosaurs would like to see.
(Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells)
One thing worries me a bit is not all kids are clever and able to learn and keep up, there is no shame in that but I'm not sure main stream schooling helps them find what they are good at.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 01:24 PM

One thing worries me a bit is not all kids are clever and able to learn and keep up, there is no shame in that but I'm not sure main stream schooling helps them find what they are good at.
I would agree Julie. Surely a school should be somewhere that helps children achieve their best. If a child is bored in class they tend to switch off, when what they really need to be is stimulated....... so maybe teachers who know how to do that would help.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

21-09-2016, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I would agree Julie. Surely a school should be somewhere that helps children achieve their best. If a child is bored in class they tend to switch off, when what they really need to be is stimulated....... so maybe teachers who know how to do that would help.
An excellent reason for streaming (where practical) even at primary school.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 02:33 PM

I attended Catholic primary and grammar schools.
Religion was dominant and meant Religious Instruction, prayers and church services were part of the curriculum.
I was brainwashed and very much resent that now.
It stifled my interest in other religions and has resulted in me despising all forms of Religious faiths and the nonsense that they preach and espouse.

Page 20 of 46 « First < 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top