Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 12:25 PM

Unemployment Figures.

Hi

Unemployment has fallen again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41252976

The National Rate is 4.3%.

Locally, as I keep saying, Unemployment is very low, 1.1 %, but it has shown a small rise.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...ee-month-high/

The problem here is that we simply cannot get enough UK Workers locally.

They do not like working in the Agricultural or Food Industries.

Training is another issue.

We have a shortage of HGV Drivers and ok, Milk Tankers work 7 days a week, as do the Cold Store and Chilled Foods Drivers, but surely we should not be relying on EU Drivers to come and work here.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 12:43 PM

Re: Unemployment Figures.

One thing about Jordan being in the army he is grabbing every chance to train for things as he can, free to hgv, free to electrician he's doing as many courses and getting certificates in as much as he can. Absolutely determined to do well outside military when he leaves.

But if they can offer free courses why can't we offer cheaper ones at least ? Because the cost puts many off they just can't afford it.

I did my forklift training with a past employer, didn't cost me anything but time, same with health and safety and food hygiene. If ten years ago employers could offer that why can't they do it now ?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
The problem here is that we simply cannot get enough UK Workers locally.

They do not like working in the Agricultural or Food Industries.
Therein lies the problem. Many of our indigenous people don't want to do certain types of work. Consequently, our employers have no option but to advertise abroad.

I have no problem with foreign workers (EU or not) coming here if they are prepared to work, especially if our own people won't do the work.

It's the ones who just come for handouts who I despise.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 02:05 PM

I think many would do the work if they could afford to, much of the picking and packing industries are not full time all year, so how can our people afford to do them ?

I find in the cleaning industry people come and go a lot because they don't see the value of their work, they think it's below them. Why have we allowed that to happen. I've never seen it as below me, my entire family have worked as cleaners at various points in their lives, but it's hard to make a living at it, few can make a full time job out of it. And it's not paid well these days either.

I'm not sure we need more immigration but we need to value these jobs and make them possible to be done by our people.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think many would do the work if they could afford to, much of the picking and packing industries are not full time all year, so how can our people afford to do them ?

I find in the cleaning industry people come and go a lot because they don't see the value of their work, they think it's below them. Why have we allowed that to happen. I've never seen it as below me, my entire family have worked as cleaners at various points in their lives, but it's hard to make a living at it, few can make a full time job out of it. And it's not paid well these days either.

I'm not sure we need more immigration but we need to value these jobs and make them possible to be done by our people.
Hi

We have always had seasonal agricultural workers from abroad.

We do not have seasonal picking and packing where I live, it is dairy and chicken, pork and egg producers.

Full time, permanent work.

Unfortunately our youngsters seem to prefer the City to the Country.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

13-09-2017, 02:36 PM

We created them, told them to want more, perhaps if we hadn't done that we would have workers in these places.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
We have always had seasonal agricultural workers from abroad..
Yep but that's mostly because the farmers know they can then pay a pittance for the labour. More money in their pockets. That will surely change now. They will have to start paying a fairer wage for the work and then UK people will take up the jobs.

In truth the actions of the farmers are little different from the actions of people who walk into a supermarket and buy a pair of jeans for £3.

They absolutely know those jeans have been made by some level of exploited people in foreign sweatshops but they choose not to care. What they are effectively doing is degrading their own society by giving money and work to foreign countries instead of "buying British". There is an end-game to that "mentality" and we are seeing it now.

To survive as a nation we have to be mindful of the need to manufacture and produce things ourselves and that requires that we give our spending loyalties to those local producers.

We have over the years allowed supermarkets (owned by foreign interests) to totally walk all over our local producers such that we then lost most of them. There are few Greengrocers, Butchers and Fishmongers out there now.

We must bring them back, and that means paying what it takes to maintain our own producers. If we don't we have no country, we are simply sold down the river to foreign powers. BrExit is a beginning, the start of regaining our sovereignty, but for it to have real meaning we also have to "Exit" from the mainstream outlets that are simply owned by foreign powers, like the supermarkets.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
There are few Greengrocers, Butchers and Fishmongers out there now.

We must bring them back, and that means paying what it takes to maintain our own producers. If we don't we have no country, we are simply sold down the river to foreign powers. BrExit is a beginning, the start of regaining our sovereignty, but for it to have real meaning we also have to "Exit" from the mainstream outlets that are simply owned by foreign powers, like the supermarkets.
We consider ourselves very fortunate that there is still an independent butcher, greengrocer and fishmonger in nearby Cheadle. Although we (well, my wife - I just tag along) still go to the supermarket every week, my wife assures me that if we want especially good meat, vegetables and fresh fish, we go to the local independents, and long may that continue.

Many of us, the more enlightened ones, may well do what everyone did in the war: to use our land to grow what we need. My wife already does that to an extent: herbs in the kitchen and tomatoes and egg plants (aubergines) in the conservatory. She has even suggested we dig up our lawn and grow potatoes and vegetables. No need for chemicals either; the cat pee will kill off any bugs.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 04:57 PM

More people in work but on lower wages, relatively, more people in work receiving in work benefits.

More people in work while the homeless rise ?

Somebody isn't telling us the whole truth reckon.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 05:11 PM

More on zero hours contracts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top