Join for free
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2017, 02:34 PM

Re: Cheapest PAYG Mobile? 1p

I hardly use my mobile, it's only here for emergencies. Mt payg is with Tesco, and i'm sure i don't need to pay every three months to keep it going.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2017, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by SamTheMan ->
I hardly use my mobile, it's only here for emergencies. Mt payg is with Tesco, and i'm sure i don't need to pay every three months to keep it going.
There are 3 different PAYG tariffs with Tesco Mobile.

Rocket Pack Tarrif, Triple Credit Tariff and Lite Tariff.

The first 2 involve top ups with free credit and/or bundles thrown in much like any other mobile service. The standard rate charges however associated with these is awful:

Calls - 25p/min
Texts - 10p
Data - 10p/MB
Voicemail - 15p/min

Any bundle calls/texts/data only last a month and are then lost.

If you only use your mobile for emergencies I will assume you are on the Lite Tariff as Tesco describe it thus:

"Our pay as you go Lite tariff is great if you use your phone occasionally"

This has a cheaper standard tariff but nevertheless is is still far far more expensive than many other mobile services. The Lite Tariff is:

Calls - 8p/min
Texts - 4p
Data - 10p/MB
Voicemail - 8p/min

By comparison, 1pMobile's charges are:

Calls - 1p/min
Texts - 1p
Data - 1p/MB

Big difference !

There is a minimum top up of £10 for Tesco Mobile.

All this said, the scenario of a purely "Emergency Phone" has been discussed in this thread. It is a unique scenario for which the tariff imo is a secondary issue. It's not really what this thread is about. The most important requirement for any emergency mobile would be the network coverage. You would want the very best coverage wherever you happened to be, full signal strength at all times. The network which would deliver that, imo, would be Vodafone, unquestionably. The tariff is more expensive than Tesco and others, but since you won't be using the phone except for that emergency then it hardly matters.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 04:12 PM

I received today the mobile my son sent to replace my Doro flip phone which stopped working. Its actually his partners phone as she is supplied one by her employers and is allowed to keep the old one when they update the company phones.
I was really surprised as its a Samsung Galaxy 6.

I ordered a 1p a minute sim and have now put that into the cheap unlocked mobile I was using while waiting a couple of weeks for the Samsung, so now I've got the cheap rate calls when I phone out. Everything with the new sim went smoothly as soon as I had connected to the new chat network.

Thank you Realist for the tip off about the cheap 1p network.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 07:03 PM

Welcome MC

Since you have (I assume) a smart phone, just be mindful of any data usage from the various apps on the phone. I don't use a smart phone so can't help much but I'd be looking at every app to see if there are any settings that allow you to, for example, disable auto updates and the like.

I still have over £5 of my original £10 topup since I started with 1pMobile and I text my wife every day.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 09:38 PM

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, but if someone wants a really really simple monthly payment, take a look at Giffgaff. They call their monthly deals "goody bags"........I think they're brilliant.

Oh, if you sign up, please get in touch first, as we could both share the introduction incentive.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

21-10-2017, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
if someone wants a really really simple monthly payment, take a look at Giffgaff.
This is a thread devoted to PAYG mobile tariffs Lindy not monthly contract tariffs which are a completely different ball game.

Giffgaff's PAYG service is horribly expensive compared to 1pMobile.

Giffgaff: Calls 5p/min - Texts 5p each - Data 5p/Mb

1pMobile: Calls 1p/min - Texts 1p each - Data 1p/MB

Giffgaff "Goodie Bags" simply turn a PAYG service into a Pay Monthly service so they are not comparable.

1pMobile remains the cheapest PAYG service at present as far as I can determine. The only commitment is a top up of at least £10 every 4 months, so £30 per year total.

Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top