Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 02:48 AM

Re: Broadband Suppliers

I am with a small company called Exetel I pay $79pm (£40) for 100/40Mbps broadband and VOIP with 500Gb downloads (uploads are not monitored). Personally I think the cost is outrageous when Singapore has 1Gbps unlimited for $40

My mobile phone is with Amaysim and I have unlimited texts and calls including to 10 overseas countries (UK, USA and Malaysia among them)and 1.5Gb of data for $25 (£13)
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 08:13 AM

Judd I would suggest that you call a few different ones and ask them for the very best price they can offer, for your requirements, and let them know you are asking other companies too.
I have been with Talk Talk, for broadband and phone, for more than 10 years... but never renewed my contract. My bill kept going up so I called and told them I was going elsewhere.
They said that because I was a long term customer, I was paying more than new customers but they could offer a much cheaper option if I renewed my contract. I did, and my phone, line rental and broadband bill has been reduced by half.
None of them are interested in customer loyalty, they just want you to be tied to a new contract for 2 years...so you can't go elsewhere. Good customer service is a thing of the past.. unless you are prepared to pay for it
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 01:08 PM

Thanks for you input everyone. As it is, unless I can get a large reduction from VM I will be giving PlusNet a call. It will mean having a new line put in (fibre) the cost of which isn't too bad but I reckon with the savings I'll make it will be worth it in the long run. Have been with VM (NTL) for nigh on twenty years and get nothing for loyalty.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 01:24 PM

I noticed no one mentioned their broadband speed. Are you all sold a standard service or do you chose your speed and download limits?

For example I pay $80 for 100/40Mbps but it would only cost me $60 for 25/5 and $50 for 12/1Mbps. Oh Yes, for an extra $10 I could have unlimited data. There is no contract so I can leave them tomorrow if I wanted.

I am on the NBN fibre so there is no line rental.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 02:18 PM

My VM broadband speed is 70Mb/s - think Plusnet offers 38Mb/s on fibre but since I no longer download as much as I used to and only use my BB for surfing and the occasional movie streaming I don't think it will be a great loss.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 06:26 PM

Just checked out my VM BB speed (using Money supermarket) and it is 149.41 Mb per second.

Not likely to get even half of that if I switch!

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
My VM broadband speed is 70Mb/s - think Plusnet offers 38Mb/s on fibre but since I no longer download as much as I used to and only use my BB for surfing and the occasional movie streaming I don't think it will be a great loss.
Well, I think you're very lucky having the option of two different fibre suppliers.

Over here on the more primitive side of the Pennines, we have only one fibre choice: Virgin Media.

I get a nominal 150Mb/s with them, although it is never more than 100Mb/s. Personally, I'm sure we could manage perfectly well with half of that.

I've heard good things about Plusnet, but they don't provide fibre over here. Perhaps in the future?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

21-03-2017, 10:51 PM

If you are not sure you can check your actual speed here.

http://www.speedtest.net/

It is handy to check to ensure that you are getting what you are paying for - depending on your home network you have to allow speed losses through routers and switches. I get download speeds of 99Mbps at the NBN modem but at my (wired) desktop my network has reduced it to 70 to 80Mbps.

Depending your equipment WiFi may reduce the actual speed considerably.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
If you are not sure you can check your actual speed here.

http://www.speedtest.net/
Thanks. Just tried that. 82.67Mb/s download, 10.14Mb/s upload.

This is using wifi connection to my router; it would be higher with an ethernet connection, of course, but I find this adequate for my purposes.

Nominally, I am on 150Mb/s with Virgin Media.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Thanks for you input everyone. As it is, unless I can get a large reduction from VM I will be giving PlusNet a call. It will mean having a new line put in (fibre) the cost of which isn't too bad but I reckon with the savings I'll make it will be worth it in the long run. Have been with VM (NTL) for nigh on twenty years and get nothing for loyalty.
I have found the same Judd, a long time subscriber, I tried the 'I am leaving because of your 3 increases in 2016' They weren't interested in keeping me, no offer of a reduction, so like you I am moving on.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top