Join for free
Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 10:51 AM

Re: I hate wholemeal bread

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I love toast and mostly eat my bread that way. But brown bread doesn't toast nicely and it tastes awful IMO so it's white for me..
This has to be a result of buying crappy supermarket bread.

Real wholemeal artisan bread makes fantastic toast and has deep satisfying flavours. Personally I like loaves with a blend of wholewheat, white flour spelt and rye.

Rye gives a deep nutty tone to bread and spelt is a lighter sweeter flavour whilst wholewheat provides that foundational earthy wholesome flavour.

Don't buy this kind of supermarket bread imo:

It's not real bread.

The list of ingredients is usually long and typically includes flour enhancers, treatment agents and so on.

Good wholesome real bread needs only 4 ingredients:

FLOUR, YEAST, WATER, SALT

Like this Tartine style loaf I made:

tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 12:34 PM

I prefer sliced wholemeal bread from the supermarket.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I prefer sliced wholemeal bread from the supermarket.
Me too. I buy Allinsons wholemeal, slightly thicker sliced and the 600g loaf size is just right for us.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
This has to be a result of buying crappy supermarket bread.

Real wholemeal artisan bread makes fantastic toast and has deep satisfying flavours. Personally I like loaves with a blend of wholewheat, white flour spelt and rye.

Rye gives a deep nutty tone to bread and spelt is a lighter sweeter flavour whilst wholewheat provides that foundational earthy wholesome flavour.

Don't buy this kind of supermarket bread imo:

It's not real bread.

The list of ingredients is usually long and typically includes flour enhancers, treatment agents and so on.

Good wholesome real bread needs only 4 ingredients:

FLOUR, YEAST, WATER, SALT

Like this Tartine style loaf I made:

Now that looks lovely

Would love to try a piece, still warm, with real butter melting over it.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Leia ->
Me too. I buy Allinsons wholemeal, slightly thicker sliced and the 600g loaf size is just right for us.
I like Tesco's thick sliced the best, we always keep bread in the fridge. We have low fat marg, never butter.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 12:55 PM

I like Tesco's thick sliced the best, we always keep bread in the fridge. We have low fat marg, never butter.
I think real butter is better for you. No, the saturated fats aren't good for some, especially those (like me) with cholesterol issues. But marg is full of chemicals and other weird ingredients.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 01:30 PM

Im another that finds supermarket bread, esp white, makes me feel bloated and full of wind. I do love a bit of white sliced toasted but it doesn't like me

Im fine with my own HM bread so I know Im not gluten intolerant Just I don't make it very often cos Id eat the whole loaf in one sitting with a pound of cold butter

If Im taking a sandwich for lunch it has to be granary or a seeded wholemeal. Fills me up more and doesn't make me feel so windy
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

27-02-2018, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
I think real butter is better for you. No, the saturated fats aren't good for some, especially those (like me) with cholesterol issues. But marg is full of chemicals and other weird ingredients.
I have a very high cholesterol level, a familial thing. I was on statins but had to come off them due to them doing my liver no favours. I like butter, but it is better to have it as a treat.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 01:36 PM

I have a very high cholesterol level, a familial thing. I was on statins but had to come off them due to them doing my liver no favours. I like butter, but it is better to have it as a treat.
Id be more concerned about the trans fats in Marg and other man made processed foods then I would be with butter
Linda0818
USA

27-02-2018, 02:19 PM

Butter, or any type of spread, isn't something I eat on a regular basis, so I'm not too worried about it. I do like the yogurt spreads, though, I buy those as well.

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Id be more concerned about the trans fats in Marg and other man made processed foods then I would be with butter
That's also my concern.

Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top