Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 09:07 PM

Re: Cycle to work.

My mate who is a keen cyclist swears by them Sam. He has one called a 'Turbo Trainer' and if he's struggling for time to train, or the weather is bad he sets it up in his garage and does what's called 'Spinning'...Pedalling fast for half an hour, or longer if time allows. Excellent for Cardio Fitness. Personally, I'd go for a middle of the range model.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 09:15 PM

I used to love cycling till I was run over when I was 12. Now I'm petrified on a bike.

I can walk in front of a bus and it doesn't bother me, I love driving, but put me on a bike on the road and I'm a trembling-with-fear wreck. So I don't do it anymore
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2017, 02:22 AM

Sam, I have a trainer and love it. If you can, talk to someone in a true cycling shop, you should as they can explain the nuances between the different models. I really enjoy being able to use my own bike for training...it just feels better somehow than spinning cycles.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2017, 04:07 AM

Hi

Loads cycle to work here, on the country roads, and the locals are always aware of cyclists.

It is a very easy cycle, gentle rolling countryside, if you are going to Wem or Whixall.

If however your work is on one of the farms at the top of the village then a half mile push is in order.

Prees Bank is like a mountain stage on the Tour de France, you only ever see the professionals cycling up there.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2017, 06:47 AM

I never thought about getting a trainer/exerciser that my own bike could be mounted on. I am since reading this thread though. Good for when the weather is bad or using in the winter when the days are short and dismal.

I suppose using one must need a fair amount of self-discipline? I mean, if out and about on a bike and you get tired, there is no stopping because you have to get to the destination or get home. Feel that tired on a cycle trainer and it must be a great temptation to just stop pedalling. On the other hand, I suppose even if that happens, at least some exercising has been done.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2017, 07:30 AM

I cycled to work just about everyday for 30 years (about 14km each way). The number of times it rained and I got soaked could be counted on both hands. I am a minimalist cyclist you can only get so wet!

Actually when I worked in London last (early 70s) I used to cycle from the top of Brixton Hill to somewhere off Horseferry Rd SW1 (the Royal Mail SW1 sorting office) in all weathers too.

Dislike trainers intensely - they are time machines where time is stretched to breaking point; 10 minutes on a trainer or a treadmill seems like an hour of normal time - sooooo boring...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2017, 07:38 AM

Strange thing, the point of cycling used to be to escape to the great outdoors, if it rained it rained, wouldn't be the same with the back wheel on a roller, a VR Headset on, a fan blowing in your face, and a Watering can suspended at an angle, above your head, but, that seems to be the way it is going. Lets hope there are a few Opening Car Doors in the software, just to liven things up
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2017, 08:09 AM

I cycled to school and work when young. Cycled for about 22 years now as an adult. Kept it up pretty well and still do about 25 miles a week. The weather has to be halfway decent for that though. I don't enjoy cycling in the cold and wet these days and an exerciser might have a place in life.

I'm sure it would be boring with nothing to look at other than the tools and bench in the garage but it would a way of not just sitting around. I need to stay fit for as long as I can.
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2017, 11:12 AM

The cycling part of another forum that i'm on, people are sayinghe trainers with fluid are better than the cheaper magnetic ones. But they can cost hundreds, and for what i'll use it, i don't think it would be worth it. On ebay there's a PedalPro for £54 with good review, and a better make with even better reviews, a Cyclops for £85. There are plenty more cheaper ones on ebay, but without reviews, so you wouldn't know if they're good or not.
I'll keep looking.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2017, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by SamTheMan ->
I've been looking on ebay at these indoor cycle trainers, they lift your back wheel a couple of inches, then you can ride on sorts of rollers. I think it may be better than an exercise bike. But .......... Do they work ? Does anyone know ? There are loads of them on ebay.
I don't cycle anywhere but.....this is crazy...cycling to get nowhere...what's all that about

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top