Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 10:57 AM

EVE'S PUDDING. Every Child's School Pudding Favourite

Mmmm, Does anyone remember school dinners when just rarely, we would be served this absolutely gorgeous pudding for “afters”? Lovely English Eve’s Pudding. . I definitely remember when it was on the menu, it came in a huge catering tin which the dinner ladies would cut off slices for us children, and serve with a scoop of Custard. I always made sure I smiled and said hello to whichever dinner lady was apportioning the slices of this heavenly offering in the hope she would give me a larger slice, no such luck! Whoever was popping that slice of delight onto my plate, they did it with absolute precision! Blast it!

What can I tell you about Eve’s Pudding. It is a typically English Pud, (also known as Mother Eve’s Pudding) It goes back to 1823 and the fruit is usually apple. Although obviously any fruit can be put in there, but….apple is the light fruit that makes the lovely light sponge topping the favourite it was.
Topping it off with hot Custard is an absolute requirement, as much as bacon and eggs or Laurel and Hardy!

I made one this weekend, and he who must obey (Londoner remember!) had never even heard of it. Philistine! But he loved it, of course!! He ate 2/3rds of the dish by having two huge helpings. (he doesn’t believe in food wastage or taking up space in the fridge). lol.

Here then, for anyone who has not made this pudding - is the recipe.

INGREDIENTS
1lb Granny Smiths, Bramleys or any apple you love to use, peeled cored and sliced thinly
Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon, (preferably unwaxed or organic)
6oz sugar (separated into 2 equal amounts)
3oz butter
1 egg, beaten
4oz plain flour
1.½ teaspoons baking powder

METHOD
Preheat oven to 350F/180C/160C Fan/Gas 4.

Butter the inside of a pie dish or similar size baking dish. Sieve the Flour and Baking powder into a bowl and mix together thoroughly.

Place the sliced apples into another bowl, add the lemon juice, lemon rind and half of the sugar (3oz) and stir well. Put the apple slices into the pie dish and set aside.

Cream the remaining (3oz) sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and add the flour. Spread the mixture evenly over the apples.

Bake for 40 - 45 minutes until the sponge is firm and springy to the touch and golden brown.

Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	evie.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	5858   Click image for larger version

Name:	evie5.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	5859   Click image for larger version

Name:	evie6.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	5860  
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 11:58 AM

Re: EVE'S PUDDING. Every Child's School Pudding Favourite

Yeah but, no but, yeah but, no but, yeah but wiv custad cos creem makes ya fat and ifm fat den Chantellel giv me de eevy fer dat Keanu wot ad it away wiv Shanita on de swings roun de back of de scool .....

tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 02:50 PM

Not only have I never had it, I have never heard of it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 03:41 PM

Oh, you should try Manchester Tarts, lads.

I have.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 03:41 PM

So, it's apple sponge then?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 03:45 PM

Eve's Pudding was one of the first dishes we had to make in Grammar School. I felt quite proud taking it home for the family
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 06:06 PM

Course I've heard of it! Lol. Would love to make one, but as it's just me, would probably last for ages.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top