Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2018, 12:28 PM

VIPs in your life

I have been privileged to have known some great characters in my life, a few, just a few I could call friends.

I make no apology for repeating this next post.

Happy memories.

CHARLES STACEY

Have you a friend who makes you smile whenever you think of them? At our age it’s a sobering thought that many folks known to us have passed on now. Not a smile because they are or were funny. That may be true, but I was thinking more of a smile from warm or happy memories of being with that person…

Some people give out oodles of human kindness and they are to be cherished as much as they encourage us.

I worked with Charles S. for many years. He was advertising manager for the branch of “Grace Brothers” (Debenhams actually) where I worked during 1967 to 1976... Although under constant pressure from everyone from the store director chasing him for the latest advert copy to the sales juniors waiting to collect their point of sale for a new product, he never flustered or showed any unpleasantness.

He had a withered leg and walked very distinctively with a sort of rise and fall gait, He wouldn’t wear the special boots made for him…

During November of 1940 he had been taken on as a signwriter and unfortunately turned up for work to be greeted by a flattened bombed site where a very grand department store had stood the previous day. The Germans bombed Southampton extensively because of its marine & aviation importance.

H Neville Garland (Of Garlands of Norwich) store director was stood in the road arms crossed surveying the scene. He was a very tall imposing man with a high forehead and white hair. He gradually became aware of my slight friend next to him
“Hmm you look familiar,” he said, stroking his chin. ,
Charles quietly said “I suppose you won’t want me now”
“Good heavens, you’re the new sign writer, start immediately, I want signs, lots of signs, bomb damage, smoke damage, quick man, Have to look on the bright side” he checked his watch, then strode off, picking his way through the debris.

Charles did write those smoke damage signs and stayed in the same store for 50 years more, enjoying a long retirement & still smiling when I called to visit him and his dear wife every Christmas.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2018, 02:51 PM

Re: VIPs in your life

Aged 16 yrs I left home with no family or emotional support or financial help ever offered . I owe my safety to a lovely lady called lizzie who lived in Huyton near Liverpool . She allowed me to move into her home with her family , she fed me , cared for me and helped me. I am indebted to her , yet as a young girl I never really appreciated her for all she did for me , now as an older person I know that when I meet her again in another time and place I will take her hand and look into her eyes and say "Thankyou "
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2018, 05:54 PM

You had a wonderful guardian angel in Lizzie, thanks for sharing that with us.
I have, as I grow older, become increasingly aware of how much I didn't appreciate my parents, but they understood.

If you are able to share more I am sure other folks would like to read about how things turned out for you & Lizzie.
My forebears came from Liverpool, West Derby area.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Aged 16 yrs I left home with no family or emotional support or financial help ever offered . I owe my safety to a lovely lady called lizzie who lived in Huyton near Liverpool . She allowed me to move into her home with her family , she fed me , cared for me and helped me. I am indebted to her , yet as a young girl I never really appreciated her for all she did for me , now as an older person I know that when I meet her again in another time and place I will take her hand and look into her eyes and say "Thankyou "
how strange susan m - my grandma was called lizzie and we lived with her for a while in Liverpool 7 - her sister was an umarried lady and lived in a flat in Huyton and we walked from L7 on a sunday morning to go and visit.

my first mentor was a guy who gave me my first teaching job in B/stoke ; Hants and put me on the path to fame! - looking back all that I achieved after that was down to his first support and this included living in HK for 3 yrs and finally emigrating to OZ - he also became a drinking buddy in the early years and we had a good friday night out at the social club!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 06:25 AM

Hi Gumbud , I lived near The Blubell Inn and lizzie told me never to set foot in there and although I was intrigued I never did . Lizzie had about 4 sons and lived on the large council estate , she looked after me as a daughter until I left her at 18 . I never saw her again . Without her help at that time I don't think I could have survived safely .
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->

I can't imagine, having no family, or emotional support,..thank goodness for Lizzie,...hope this question isn't to personal, ..but did growing up without a family, how did that impact on your life? ...did you have a family of your own?..i understand if you don't answer,...
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

19-05-2018, 09:00 AM

The Kimber brothers, Gerald & Arthur
Next to the Baptist church is a little cottage. Sheraton is its name.
An old gnarled wisteria climbs up over the front whitewashed wall into the gables and over the pretty rosemary tiled roof. In May the garden is looking just like a picture post card.
Gerald and Arthur live here. They were born here. Although Gerald and Arthur are not actually twins; they do behave like twins Gerald starts a sentence and Arthur finishes it for him, and vice versa...They even have a special language all of their own.
Men of old fashioned good manners both. Miss or the Misses right never passed their way. my I first came by Gerald when he was painting my Mothers porch. Then I noticed some of Gerald’s watercolours on parent’s living room walls. My Dad was a good watercolourist artist too.
”Robert, Gerald has a lovely garden, why don’t you go over the road and he’ll give you a guided tour”
My dad urged me to go over the road lots of times before I eventually took up the offer.
“You will be a welcome as the flowers in May” I duly went across the road and saw a lot of rabbits and chickens. Guinea pigs, bantams, ducks. Not much of the cottage garden I was led to expect.
“Very nice Gerald “I ventured.
“Gerald lives next door! I’m Terry”
said, um, Terry.
“Geraaaaaaald Geraaald!” Terry called across the quick thorn hedge.
“I’ve Robert here looking for you”
“Hello Robert “they said in unison. I was made as welcome as the flowers in May. I continued to visit them in May and June. Most months, in fact. I never come away empty.
Gerald picks armfuls of old fashioned flowers for my mother or Gillian , my wife.
Arthur weighs in with his organically grown fruit and vegetables
The last time I visited the silver haired duo, they were giggling over a secret shared joke “Robert “said Arthur, followed by Gerald saying
“You should be called Jack, cos then you would be Jack and Jill”
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

19-05-2018, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
how strange Susan m - my grandma was called Lizzie and we lived with her for a while in Liverpool 7 - her sister was an unmarried lady and lived in a flat in Huyton and we walked from L7 on a Sunday morning to go and visit.

my first mentor was a guy who gave me my first teaching job in B/ stoke; Hants and put me on the path to fame! - looking back all that I achieved after that was down to his first support and this included living in HK for 3 yrs and finally emigrating to OZ - he also became a drinking buddy in the early years and we had a good Friday night out at the social club!

What a coincidence Gumbud. I found a relly on the old MSN chat rooms, from Liverpool, name of Rigby. I later wondered if shhe was relalted to Eleanor. That was 2002.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 09:17 AM

Thank you for your interesting recollections susan, gumbud and Robert.

Aren't words wonderful for how they can conjure up pictures and thoughts in the readers mind, of what those times must have been like for you.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

19-05-2018, 08:42 PM

Forever young...............

My mum & dad were married for 53 years, they were very close. My dad adored my mum even though she was prone to constant nagging at him.

When he died in 1999 she was bereft, having realised how she had treated him so badly on occasion, for she had a terrible temper.

A few days after my dad died, he appeared to me in a dream/vision whatever it was, it was very real to me.

“Hiya Rob, it’s great up here, I can smoke, take naps, you’ll love it. I have all my prize budgies from way back & I never have to clean them out.

How’s your mum?"

I answered, truthfully “Not so good POP!”

“Oh dear, you don’t think she’s coming up here any time soon do you?”

“Nah, don’t worry, she is as strong as an ox” I reassured him. In the event, mum survived him by 12 years.

She passed away suddenly sat in her favourite chair waiting for a cup of tea.
Mum had been in terrible pain for years but her face suddenly changed, she looked up, smiled and lifted up her arms as if welcoming someone.

Dad, I like to think. Then in an instant, she was gone from us..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top