Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 09:07 PM

Re: The Wisdom of my Grandad (in 5 parts)

I hope you and your lovely wife had a nice break.

Lovely honest thread RJ.

I couldn’t agree more with your Grandpa on that one, sort yourself out and just be yourself and everything will fall into place as it was meant to, take the good with the bad.

I’ve always been true to myself, in fact I can’t remember a single time when I cheated or told a lie to myself.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 09:13 PM

Everyday is a number 2 day, some days are a 2+2 day.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
this reminded me of a poem I love, I think I have posted it on the forum before but just in case I haven't, this is the poem,

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you king for a day
Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
And see what that man has to say.

For it isn’t your father, or mother, or wife
Whose judgment upon you must pass
The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the one staring back from the glass.

He’s the fellow to please – never mind all the rest
For he’s with you, clear to the end
And you’ve passed your most difficult, dangerous test
If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.

This is so true
Wonderful LQ !
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 09:54 PM

Michael Jackson did Man in the Mirror, he also did, you are not alone, I am here with you, then he disappeared, so much just goes around.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 08:49 AM

Number 2 today Tuesday

++++++++++++++++
A man’s character is his destiny

As we sail through life we pick up habits & life routines, good & bad. We don’t notice the stronghold these things have taken until we try to break free.
This is when we realise the strength or weakness of our integrity and resolve.

Tomorrow number 3,. Number 5 on Friday.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Michael Jackson did Man in the Mirror, he also did, you are not alone, I am here with you, then he disappeared, so much just goes around.
and comes around?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

05-06-2018, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I hope you and your lovely wife had a nice break.
Yes, we did thanks Jem[/I],

Lovely honest thread RJ.

[I]I hope so Jem

I couldn’t agree more with your Grandpa on that one, sort yourself out and just be yourself and everything will fall into place as it was meant to, take the good with the bad.

[I]Chad Varah gave this same advice to anyone wishing to serve others.[/I]

I’ve always been true to myself, in fact I can’t remember a single time when I cheated or told a lie to myself.

Here is a puzzle Jem.
"if I said I was lying, would I be telling the truth?"
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Number 2 today Tuesday

++++++++++++++++
A man’s character is his destiny

As we sail through life we pick up habits & life routines, good & bad. We don’t notice the stronghold these things have taken until we try to break free.
This is when we realise the strength or weakness of our integrity and resolve.

Tomorrow number 3,. Number 5 on Friday.

Interesting thread , certainly words of wisdom . I think as we start our life journey we become moulded by parents , society and others to be the person they want us to be , after all when I was young it was known children should be seen and not heard , we didn't have a voice , therefore we didn't know who to be , we react in the way we have been moulded . As we grow and leave whatever nest we've lived in we enter work areas and are governed by work , money , and another moulding comes in , ways to be and behave , perhaps pleasing others to be loved and accepted , so as we live on we get caught up in life's business and at sometime we can start to feel we just don't know who we are and feel discontented looking for greener grass . It's much later in life when we may look deeper inside and think maybe I should have been more assertive , kinder , harder , different , should have , would have and over time the true character of who you are starts to emerge , after all we've lived life and seen so much .

It's taken me 68 years to find myself and who I truly am , a long journey , had I had the strengths I have now I would have travelled a different life that's for sure , would I have been any happier , I don't know but I think I would have made an easier journey for myself .

Look forward to tomorrow's quote
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 11:07 AM

Thank you to you and your Grandad for another thought provoking pearl of wisdom

Isn't it about the the choices and reactions we make with our own personality traits! The choices we make towards ourselves and in regards to others reveal and determine who we are.

Isn't it those combination of choices we make every single day that truly defines and shapes our fate.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 11:43 AM

Robert, you say your grandfather was very wise and was dragged off to the trenches. There does seem to be a connection between facing imminent death and becoming wise. In other words, I'm sure many people 'grew up' very quickly when serving in the war. I'm sure my own granddad was much wiser at the age of 19 than I was.

I like the idea of being honest and truthful to yourself and not being afraid of who or what you are; Just playing devil's advocate for a moment, should this apply to someone who is a mass murderer?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top