Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 12:04 PM

Re: The Wisdom of my Grandad (in 5 parts)

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Robert, you say your grandfather was very wise and was dragged off to the trenches. There does seem to be a connection between facing imminent death and becoming wise. In other words, I'm sure many people 'grew up' very quickly when serving in the war. I'm sure my own granddad was much wiser at the age of 19 than I was.

I like the idea of being honest and truthful to yourself and not being afraid of who or what you are; Just playing devil's advocate for a moment, should this apply to someone who is a mass murderer?
Being in a theatre of conflict is certainly a time for growing up but whether that makes you wiser is another thing.

Your example of Mass murderer reminds me of being told years ago by a Prison officer friend that some of the nastiest people are those that purport to be honest and truthful
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Being in a theatre of conflict is certainly a time for growing up but whether that makes you wiser is another thing.

Your example of Mass murderer reminds me of being told years ago by a Prison officer friend that some of the nastiest people are those that purport to be honest and truthful
Yes I know what you mean (no disrespect intended towards your grandfather Robert).
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Number 2 today Tuesday

++++++++++++++++
A man’s character is his destiny

As we sail through life we pick up habits & life routines, good & bad. We don’t notice the stronghold these things have taken until we try to break free.
This is when we realise the strength or weakness of our integrity and resolve.

Tomorrow number 3,. Number 5 on Friday.
Very thought provoking Young Robert.
Our parents usually provide a template for our lives.
However, we are all born with different characters, and life with its challenges, are what forms our views on life.
We cannot ever predict how any person will develop or cope, given a situation. Our coping mechanisms are certainly put to the test during times of war, or debilitating illnesses, it is only then that our own strengths or weaknesses, actually come into play. Finding a resolution to any emotional trauma, now that takes not only courage but often being able to compromise. Morals maketh the man.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 07:46 PM

Many thanks to all who have responded to this thread.It has been humbling
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 07:55 AM

My Gramps had crystallised in his diaries his thoughts on life, gathered during his 77-year sojourn on the planet Earth.
But what have I learned in my, so far, 70 years here.
Five things.
Number 3 today Wednesday
Tomorrow number 4

Number 5 on Friday

"There's no substitute for knowing what you are talking about."

Like the man who meditates on scripture all the days of his life. He knows how he should live his life and the difference bbetween right and wrong, what to do in every situation because it is etched on his heart and soul.

---------------------
Maybe a bit pious for some folks but make of it what you will.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 09:51 AM

Like the man who meditates on scripture all the days of his life. He knows how he should live his life and the difference bbetween right and wrong, what to do in every situation because it is etched on his heart and soul.

---------------------
I totally agree with that.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 09:53 AM

It would be so easy to say If we all behaved as we should what a perfect world it would be...but who now knows what is a perfect world !
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 11:49 AM

---------------------
Just catching up.

There is no substitute, only we know what we are thinking or contemplating. We are taught the differences between right and wrong at an early age but are often led to believe otherwise, by those whose sole purpose in life is to change those beliefs for their own gain.
Do we follow our hearts, or follow our heads, that is another question?
We can only truly give advice if we have experienced a given situation.
We each of us come to many crossroads in our lives, which road to take is often a dilemma, which road is the right road? Is it always etched on our hearts? Is the answer deep in our souls?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 12:12 PM

It's all well and good being true to yourself, but, if you vocalise the revelation, everybody wants a bit.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 12:15 PM

Pass.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top