Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 12:02 AM

Neem Oil for plants

Just found this article today, and thought I'd share it with anybody who tries to use as few chemicals as possible.

It's about Neem Oil to rid plants of insects

Quote: :

Commercial insecticides and pesticides are full of toxic chemicals that can often do more harm than good. If you're looking for a natural way to control insects, pests and disease, there's nothing better than neem oil.

According to ScienceDirect, neem is "a storehouse of insecticidal azadirachtin, which possess antifeedant, growth disrupting and larvicidal properties against an array of agricultural insect pests." In fact, azadirachtin is neem's most powerful active ingredient and one of nature's most potent insecticides. More importantly, neem is sustainable and environmentally-friendly unlike most synthetic alternatives.

15. Neem Oil for Plants

Chemical pesticides and insecticides can leech into the environment and cause harm. Unlike its synthetic counterparts, neem oil is non-toxic and naturally degrades into the environment and does not cause harm to animals, birds, fish and other wildlife.

Neem oil, and particularly its active compound, azadirachtin, can kill insects at different stages, from the egg and larvae stage to full grown adult by disrupting their reproductive cycles. Neem oil works efficiently against over a hundred different insects like aphids, mites, white flies, beetles, ants, leaf miners, caterpillars and more. Also interestingly, neem oil only affects insects that suck or chew and does not harm beneficial bugs like earthworms, ladybugs, and bees.

How to use neem oil for plants:

Neem oil insecticide spray: In a 16oz. spray bottle filled with warm distilled water first add 1/2 a tbsp. of pure Castile soap (don't use detergents; Castile soap is easily found in natural food stores or online and is needed to dissolve the oil) and 1/2 a tsp. of cold-pressed neem oil (a little goes a long way) as this has a high level of azadirachtin. Shake to dissolve. Spray once a week for best results. To further enhance your insecticide add 10 drops of citronella essential oil, an all natural insect repellent, which will also make your garden smell great!

Note: Unlike chemical sprays that can have immediate but toxic effects, neem oil will not work overnight and will take a few days to show results. Be patient and the results will show!

16. Neem Oil for Powdery Mildew

Powdery mildew is a fungal disease that affects many plants and especially roses. Affected plants look like they've received a dusting of flour. To control and remove powdery mildew from rose bushes and other plants, add 1/2 tsp. of apple cider vinegar to the neem oil insecticide spray above. Being a natural fungicide, research shows that neem oil is highly effective against the fungus. Spray once a week.

17. Neem Oil for Mosquitoes

Neem oil is a much safer alternative to using harsh insect repellents and pesticides that contain DEET, which have questionable health concerns.

If anyone wants more info, look here:

https://www.up-nature.com/blogs/news...ts-of-neem-oil
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 12:21 AM

Re: Neem Oil for plants

I’ve used Neem oil on my plants for years now. I put it in a spray bottle mixed with a few drops of liquid soap and shake it up. Most plants are sprayed from the bottom of the leaves and up since that’s where most bugs like to live.

It’s great not only for the environment but especially for using on edible fruits and vegetables.

Nice for adding in pet shampoo
There are a lot of uses BUT it does have an unusual smell
A cross between garlic, smelly socks and rancid peanuts so caution might be needed

Dr. Bronners makes a good Liquid Castile soap
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 12:26 AM

That's interesting Bratti.

I really must get some tomorrow. I tried two places today and they hadn't got any, so looks like I will have to send for it instead.

I spray my plants with diluted Seaweed usually, never thought of using Neem before, so I thought it interesting.

I try not to use much in the way of chemicals because of my dogs always rootling about where they shouldn't!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
There are a lot of uses BUT it does have an unusual smell
A cross between garlic, smelly socks and rancid peanuts so caution might be needed
Perhaps that stink is what puts the insects off?!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top