Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 09:37 AM

Re: anxiety attacks

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Sleep disorder used to frighten me, now it doesn't as I know it will be over in seconds whereas panic attacks can last 30 minutes.
I see, I wasn't aware of that. The ONE that I had lasted probably only 20 seconds, so I got off lightly.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 09:56 AM

It's hard to gauge exactly how long a sleep paralysis event lasts but I m always aware of what it is these days and don't find them scary, i can just tell them to stop and they do.

Now if only the panic attacks in real life were so easy to deal with. I've had ones last 2 hours before which is rare, 20 to 30 minutes is around my. average.

More often it is just a high level of background anxiety. Pain overrides panic, so if you are in a lot of pain you are unlikely to be suffering a true panic attack. Anger helps too but its very rare to suddenly get furious about something when in the midst of an attack. This had happened with me only a couple of times in more than 30 years.

Still, I can see why people have committed suicide over their panic attacks. Treatments have advanced in the 32 years I've had them but there is no simple cure for unwanted and un-needed adrenalin flooding the body.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
It's hard to gauge exactly how long a sleep paralysis event lasts but I m always aware of what it is these days and don't find them scary, i can just tell them to stop and they do.

Now if only the panic attacks in real life were so easy to deal with. I've had ones last 2 hours before which is rare, 20 to 30 minutes is around my. average.

More often it is just a high level of background anxiety. Pain overrides panic, so if you are in a lot of pain you are unlikely to be suffering a true panic attack. Anger helps too but its very rare to suddenly get furious about something when in the midst of an attack. This had happened with me only a couple of times in more than 30 years.

Still, I can see why people have committed suicide over their panic attacks. Treatments have advanced in the 32 years I've had them but there is no simple cure for unwanted and un-needed adrenalin flooding the body.
Yes, as I said earlier my Granddad probably suffered from them but they didn't know much about it then.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 12:38 AM

Update for those interested, doc gave me beta blockers to be taken only when needed, hopefully not gonna need them, i.d rather try manage without
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Update for those interested, doc gave me beta blockers to be taken only when needed, hopefully not gonna need them, i.d rather try manage without
Hi Queenie....I was wondering how you got on yesterday. Thanks for letting us know.

Did the GP listen, or just palm you off with the pills?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Hi Queenie....I was wondering how you got on yesterday. Thanks for letting us know.

Did the GP listen, or just palm you off with the pills?
I don't think he listened really Pesta, he was nice enough but nothing like the doctor I would have liked to have seen, now he truly does listen which is why everyone wants to see him and now I can rarely get in to see him since all this receptionist care navigator business came into effect.

I've had another good day today, fingers crossed I won't need them but i suppose its nice to know that they are there in case of emergency.

Thank you for asking
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:17 PM

On 'G.P.s behind closed doors ' today a man was saying he got anxiety attacks,The Dr said there is nothing can be done, just try to keep quiet & calm yourself down,drugs are not given as they can be habbit forming.So it sounds if we feel anxious we just have to try & help ourselves
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Beta-Blockers are excellent drugs - they're non-addictive and do slow your heart down quite a bit. For a while they were banned in both darts and snooker as they lead to a very steady hand.

In hospital, they cut mine in half as my blood pressure was too low but they're a drug I'd sooner not be without.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top