Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 02:53 PM

which camera to use

FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 04:26 PM

Re: which camera to use

As an ex pro wedding photographer/videographer. All my equipment is a tad bulky and ‘involved’! Haven’t got out much with it lately though.
I currently drive a Nikon P200 with an 18-170mm & 150-500mm lenses. The latter being even longer than any of the lenses the two guys in the video had. Very useful for my hobby of bird watching.
FridgeMagnet
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 04:28 PM

And I realise that wasn’t a serious question. But. You know. Big boys love to show off their toys!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 04:57 PM

I'd say it depends upon the application.

I used to use a Canon T90 (with film, of course).

Now, however, I usually use just my smartphone camera.

The former was capable of producing photographs of high quality, capable of great enlargement should that be necessary.

The latter is perfectly adequate for producing images for use on the internet.
FridgeMagnet

15-07-2018, 05:03 PM

Nowadays I tend to use either my iPhone or iPad Pro. Since any photos shared will inevitably end up on line.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 05:03 PM

My current kit is a Canon EOS1200D. I have a few lenses but mostly I use the 75-300 mm.

I do birds, flowers, insects, trash, dogs..........shadows, clouds....whatever catches my eye.

FridgeMagnet

15-07-2018, 05:10 PM

In my day as a wedding photographer. It was all roll film. Cost a fortune for processing & printing. Nowadays it’s all digital diy finishing. And they charge up to 600% more than the going rate when I did it!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 05:19 PM

I used to use a Canon which I was very happy with apart from the developing costs. I now have an Olympus Pen digital which had pretty good reviews but I think I still prefer my old Canon. The Pen takes so long to set up that the subject has normally gone by then. I know it's a case of me really getting to know the camera but it does seem unnecessarily complicated.
FridgeMagnet

15-07-2018, 06:06 PM

Just a couple of ‘more or less’ relevant tales.
You might be aware of the statue of Sir Winston Churchill in Parliament square in central London.
Back in the 1970s I was a junior sales assistant in a camera shop in Whitehall just off Trafalgar Square. One morning a gentleman came in and told me that he was a sculptor and had entered a competition to create a new statue for the square. And that he needed a decent camera to take pictures to submit of his progress. So I sold him a 2nd hand Rolleiflex.
Well. He won the competition and came in afterwards to thank me for assisting him. The sculptor was Ivor Roberts Jones.

————0———-

Also, in that same shop. We had a beaten up, manky old Leica camera which must have been manufactured in the Stone Age. We never tried to sell it and just used to use it as a paper weight. As I said, this was back in the 70s.
Well. 3 years ago, an identical camera (maybe even that one) sold at auction in London for 1.5million pounds!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I used to use a Canon which I was very happy with apart from the developing costs. I now have an Olympus Pen digital which had pretty good reviews but I think I still prefer my old Canon. The Pen takes so long to set up that the subject has normally gone by then. I know it's a case of me really getting to know the camera but it does seem unnecessarily complicated.
Know what you mean. I have a Minolta film camera with a few lenses. It served me well for many years. But yes, each frame had a development cost so you chose what you wanted to take a picture of knowing that incremental cost.

Now that constraint no longer applies. My memory card, and I have a spare, is about 30GB. Or 30,000 Megs. Each shot is typically under 2 Megs unless I mess with it. So I can store around 15,000 images. More than I would take in several years.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top