Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 11:49 AM

Hosepipe Ban

Will You be affected by the ban where You live?
There's no ban here yet but I've just bought Myself a cool silver watering can

What will You do to save water if You are?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 11:51 AM

Re: Hosepipe Ban

We haven't one in Wales yet. We had some very heavy downpours here yesterday, which was most welcome.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 11:55 AM

No rain here, grass all brown, and no hosepipe ban YET!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xMaXeR0sNk
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 12:29 PM

Think the sooner the better here in Dorset , no rain for weeks . I use my washing up water for my pots never water the grass . We need to start thinking ahead if weather patterns are changing
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 12:46 PM

We have had the hose pipe ban in place for 3 weeks now. They say it's not a shortage of water but that they can't process it quick enough

The ban is only for private households, can still get the car hand washed
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

17-07-2018, 01:51 PM

Burnt to a crisp here in Dorset. No mention of a hosepipe ban though.

We use washing up water for plants and take a shower together lol.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 02:11 PM

Unbelievable you have a couple of days with out rain and you have a water shortage

Here in Southern Spain we had no rain for three years and it was only in April that we were going to have water rationing

Then it rained and now we have enough for the year including the influx of holiday makers

No hose pipe ban the temperature is in the mid 30's roads don't melt and it does not effect the railways

What is it with the UK?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 02:38 PM

Yes. The North-West (United Utilities' area) is the one where the hosepipe ban will take place on 5 August.

I can understand the need, although if the water company dealt with all the leaks that have been reported things might not have been so bad.

A hosepipe ban will not bother me, really.

I don't like washing the car, so my wife will have to put up with the dirt for a bit.
If the pond needs topping up, I'll use a bucket. It will just take a bit longer.
The same for the garden. Marge will have to use a watering can.

The ones who will have to make real changes are the irresponsible ones who just leave hosepipes and sprinklers on all day which, apart from being unnecessary, I believe is wasteful. A few £1000 fines might make them think again!
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 02:39 PM

Well it's been 4/5 weeks since we've seen any rain here apart from a brief wee shower which didn't fill an eggcup...but You're right Vaniy..I don't understand it either..I also can't remember any Year there was a hosepipe ban here in Scotland..
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 04:06 PM

It has been many weeks since we had rain. The thundery downpours I've heard of haven't touched our area.

Much of the water in central southern England comes from aquifers and I suppose there will be no loss from evaporation in those. Hopefully that might help ride out the current dry spell without a water shortage. No mention of a hosepipe ban yet.

I wouldn't be worried if there was a hosepipe ban as I rarely use one. A bucket and brush are OK for the car. Rinse with a watering can. I am happy to leave it dirty in dry spells anyway. Washing it doesn't make it go any better.

A watering can is OK for watering the potted plants. Those in the open ground have to manage on their own.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top