Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 04:24 PM

Re: Hosepipe Ban

Because of are water shortage have not had a bath for 6 weeks.

I try to explain this to people I am saving water in this crisis and they just walk away with their head in the air.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 04:33 PM

No hosepipe ban here in Shropshire yet. Our reservoirs are at normal capacity thank goodness. I don't take anything for granted though and still try not to waste water.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
It has been many weeks since we had rain. The thundery downpours I've heard of haven't touched our area.

Much of the water in central southern England comes from aquifers and I suppose there will be no loss from evaporation in those. Hopefully that might help ride out the current dry spell without a water shortage. No mention of a hosepipe ban yet.

I wouldn't be worried if there was a hosepipe ban as I rarely use one. A bucket and brush are OK for the car. Rinse with a watering can. I am happy to leave it dirty in dry spells anyway. Washing it doesn't make it go any better.

A watering can is OK for watering the potted plants. Those in the open ground have to manage on their own.

That's what I'm doing too, Mart, except for one small bed of summer bedding which I am trying to keep alive.
They do say the reservoirs round here are ok though.

Like others, I too, am saving all my washing up water to try not to be too extravagent with the tap water, but I have got so many tubs and pots to see to.

I believe it has been 6 weeks now without so much as a drip from the skies.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes. The North-West (United Utilities' area) is the one where the hosepipe ban will take place on 5 August.

I can understand the need, although if the water company dealt with all the leaks that have been reported things might not have been so bad.

A hosepipe ban will not bother me, really.

I don't like washing the car, so my wife will have to put up with the dirt for a bit.
If the pond needs topping up, I'll use a bucket. It will just take a bit longer.
The same for the garden. Marge will have to use a watering can.

The ones who will have to make real changes are the irresponsible ones who just leave hosepipes and sprinklers on all day which, apart from being unnecessary, I believe is wasteful. A few £1000 fines might make them think again!
AFAIKyou can use a hosepipe to top up your pond if you have fish
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
We haven't one in Wales yet. We had some very heavy downpours here yesterday, which was most welcome.
Send it our way!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Send it our way!

You're not that far from me Mac, dry as a bone aint it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I wouldn't be worried if there was a hosepipe ban as I rarely use one. A bucket and brush are OK for the car. Rinse with a watering can. I am happy to leave it dirty in dry spells anyway. Washing it doesn't make it go any better.
Yes, I'm of the same opinion.

In fact, I think that dirt on a car protects the paintwork underneath.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 06:24 PM

Oh we have had plenty of rain the past three days, it’s just not doing a lot

This area is on peat bogs so they have to get soaked again before the soil sees any of it. Although it’s rained very heavily Saturday and Sunday, still having to water
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Because of are water shortage have not had a bath for 6 weeks.

I try to explain this to people I am saving water in this crisis and they just walk away with their head in the air.
That's disgusting.

They should show their appreciation by giving you a big hug and a kiss (women only, of course).
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-07-2018, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
No hosepipe ban here in Shropshire yet. Our reservoirs are at normal capacity thank goodness. I don't take anything for granted though and still try not to waste water.
I agree completely.

They say you can drink your own urine, you know.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top