Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 11:39 AM

Re: Cliff Richard v BBC

Originally Posted by oldgreyfox ->
i'm pleased for cliff but the damage it's done to his life and career is unrepairable, the stress has put years on the bloke, and instead of him being remembered for his music, he will always now be remembered for the accusations (no smoke without fire) was he? Or wasn't he? And his battle with the beeb.

If the police had sufficient evidence to search his home it should have been done discretely, and only released to the media when enough evidence had been found to charge the man.
Even then, would the media's reporting influenced the court's decision or public opinion. Let's face it, the vigilantes among us would have had him burnt at the stake based on the police's interest....and there are still those that would....

But it's not cliff i worry about, it's the bloke on the street who doesn't have cliffs money or influence, and there are quite a few (even celebrities) who suffered 'trial by media' when they were found to be innocent, and went on to suffer a fate worse than death....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
But it's not Cliff I worry about, it's the bloke on the street who doesn't have Cliffs money or influence, and there are quite a few (even celebrities) who suffered 'Trial by Media' when they were found to be innocent, and went on to suffer a fate worse than death....
Indeed. One of the cases I sat on, as juror, was that of a mentally disabled man accused of child molestion. Naurally, his neighbours were soon aware of it, but when he was charged, the local media printed his name and where he lived. His life became hell and, eventually, he went into hiding. When the case came before us, we, too, were not well disposed towards him, yet, as the evidence for the defence was presented, it became clear that he was not the guilty party - the stepfather was abusing the child, who had been "brainwashed" by the stepfather and the mother to "set up" the defendant. Happily, for me, I was the jury foreman who pronounced him "Not Guilty" but, sadly for him, the allegations had been made and he not only had to go into hiding again but relocate from the area where he had been born and where he felt secure .....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 12:03 PM

An excellent article by JSP
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...y-not-BBC.html
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 12:22 PM

I'm pleased for Cliff but the damage it's done to his life and career is unrepairable, the stress has put years on the bloke, and instead of him being remembered for his music, he will always now be remembered for the accusations (No smoke without fire) was he? or wasn't he? And his battle with the Beeb.

If the police had sufficient evidence to search his home it should have been done discretely, and only released to the media when enough evidence had been found to charge the man.
Even then, would the media's reporting influenced the court's decision or public opinion. Let's face it, the vigilantes among us would have had him burnt at the stake based on the police's interest....And there are still those that would....

But it's not Cliff I worry about, it's the bloke on the street who doesn't have Cliffs money or influence, and there are quite a few (even celebrities) who suffered 'Trial by Media' when they were found to be innocent, and went on to suffer a fate worse than death....
A very good point OGF.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 02:04 PM

Innocent until proven guilty.

A public figure has a right to privacy in regards to private matters.

Possible slander based on what was said on the newscasts during the airing of the video.

It would have taken all of five minutes to deliberate this case.

If Sir Richard wants anonymity, all he needs is a ticket to the U.S. where he is only known for one or two pop hits back in the 80s and a duet with Sarah Brightman.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Innocent until proven guilty.

A public figure has a right to privacy in regards to private matters.

Possible slander based on what was said on the newscasts during the airing of the video.

It would have taken all of five minutes to deliberate this case.

If Sir Richard wants anonymity, all he needs is a ticket to the U.S. where he is only known for one or two pop hits back in the 80s and a duet with Sarah Brightman.
Yes Surfermom, he was very big over here but unfortunately not in the states. He was a sort of a posh speaking Blighty Elvis. Although I don't mind some of his music, I've never been a fan of his, but his backing group (The Shadows) I adored, and up until the early seventies I must have had just about every one of their albums.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 10:03 PM

Yes Surfermom, he was very big over here but unfortunately not in the states. He was a sort of a posh speaking Blighty Elvis. Although I don't mind some of his music, I've never been a fan of his, but his backing group (The Shadows) I adored, and up until the early seventies I must have had just about every one of their albums.
Now you're talking.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Now you're talking.
Brilliant weren't they Longdogs, a lot of their early stuff based on the American Indians. Apache, Geronimo, Peacepipe, Kon Tiki and my favourite, Wonderful Land. When Jett Harris and Tony Mehan left the group they produced another of my all time favourites 'Diamonds' Music I never get tired of listening to....
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 11:13 AM

Brilliant weren't they Longdogs, a lot of their early stuff based on the American Indians. Apache, Geronimo, Peacepipe, Kon Tiki and my favourite, Wonderful Land. When Jett Harris and Tony Mehan left the group they produced another of my all time favourites 'Diamonds' Music I never get tired of listening to....
I used to hear that Diamonds song every Monday for years as it was the theme tune for the Newcastle Diamonds speedway team, still takes me back whenever I hear it

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top