Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 07:01 PM

Rhubarb and Custard Cake

Hi everyone, had the grandchildren for lunch today. Easy lunch for them, Ham salad with new potatoes followed by (in their words, not mine) super rhubarb pudding with custard.

Actually it’s a Rhubarb and Custard cake,a really moist and light cake but tastes equally yum as a pudding with warm custard poured over it. Clean plates all round today.
My neighbour gave me a load of lovely pink Rhubarb from his allotment yesterday so have been making good use of them. made 2 Rhubarb Crumbles for the Freezer and 2 Rhubarb and Custard Cakes. Recipe below:

400g of pink Rhubarb
50g light soft brown sugar
250g pack of butter, softened with some for greasing
150g ready to eat pot of custard
250g self-raising flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
250g golden caster sugar (I used ordinary caster sugar)
Icing sugar for dredging

Preheat your oven to 200F/180Fan/Gas Mark 6.

Wash and trim the rhubarb and cut into finger size pieces. Place into either a shallow dish or baking tray, Add the brown sugar and mix together.

Roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Carefully discard any juice and put aside to cool.

Turn the oven down to 180F/160Fan/Gas Mark 4.

Butter and line a 23cm (9inch) loose-bottom cake tin (largest I have was a 20cm (8inch)

Keep 3 tablespoons of the ready custard aside and mix the rest with the butter, baking powder, flour, eggs, vanilla and caster sugar until creamy and smooth.

Spoon one third of the creamy mixture into the cake tin, then some of the Rhubarb, put another one third of the creamy mixture on top of the rhubarb and spread it out as best as you can. Put the rest of the rhubarb on and the remaining batter mix, spread it out. You will have mounds and dips but don’t worry.

Dot on the remaining 3 tablespoons of custard that you put aside.

Bake for 40 minutes until it has risen and golden. Then put a piece of foil over the top and bake for a further 15/20 minutes. It is ready when you do the skewer comes out clean test.

Let the cake cool in the cake tin. When you have removed it, dredge with icing sugar.

Enjoy as a cake for tea or a delish dessert with custard.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	rhubarb-and-custard-cake.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	3172  
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 07:22 PM

Re: Rhubarb and Custard Cake

That looks nice SG reminds me of 'Pigs Bum' pudding which is made with pink rhubarb .
My grandchildren love it I think the name adds to the appeal
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 08:01 PM

What a wonderful name for a pud Meg!
Out of curiosity, how was that made, please? it sounds intriguing. And you know me for new recipes!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
What a wonderful name for a pud Meg!
Out of curiosity, how was that made, please? it sounds intriguing. And you know me for new recipes!
SG it is a steamed pudding and was in a Nigela Lawson's recipe book I have..
'Yum yum pigs bum ' as my grandchildren say
...it is pink and smooth just like one...

http://www.grouprecipes.com/45614/pigs-bum.html
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 05:50 AM

They both look lovely, it's funny how kids take to food if they like the name isn't it. My grandson loves Cowboy Casserole which is just a glorified Sheherds Pie which he says he doesn't like. Only problem baking puddings and cakes if you only have one grandchild is they have a single portion and the rest is left for me....not good
DawnCurci
New Member!
United States
DawnCurci is male 

26-07-2017, 06:29 AM

Sounds delicious.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top