Join for free
Page 103 of 190 « First < 3 53 93 101 102 103 104 105 113 153 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 09:38 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Not a very profitable couple of days. I decided to fit some guttering to the summer house, it's only been waiting for two years, and during this time all the water has just run off the side and made an awful mess of the woodwork. So I went for a rummage round B&Q and found some suitable 76mm half round stuff that was specifically for sheds and summer houses. Great! I thought, and spent thirty quid on a selection of fittings and fixtures.

I couldn't wait to get home and begin the installation. Having assembled half I decided to do a water test and tipped over a bucket of water on the roof.....Without getting too technical, the overhang was too great and the guttering was too small so the result was that the water went straight over the top.....

Today I took it all down and spent forty quid on a larger size, and it's perfect....
Does anyone want some grey 76mm half round guttering?.......
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 10:04 PM

Have a great time in Guernsey OGF
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 08:53 AM

Thanks Myrtle and Mags, just caught up with your good wishes on the goodnight thread Mags.......Just this netbook to go in and I'm ready for the off. It's a bit windy here so I hope the pilot knows what he's doing. Mrs Fox is winding herself up into a crescendo, with the washer and tumble dryer going, it's like being back in the factory....'Bugger it' is what I say.

Anyway, it's about an hours drive to the airport and we fly at half one, so all you people who live down south, the Sopwith Camel that's just flown over could be me......No fancy Jet Passenger Aircraft for Channel Island Air, it's seat of your pants and roger that chaps.........See you all on the other side......Hopefully!..
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

18-08-2017, 08:03 PM

No problems getting to the airport on time but apparently the captain did....so we were about an hour late getting up into the air. Didn't notice the strong wind until we came into land and the captain wasn't as delicate as he could have been. Anyway, it didn't take us long to collect all the luggage from the fields adjacent to the runway, sorting it out took a little more time.

It's our seventh visit to this hotel, and it's like coming home, everything is where we left it. Surfermom.....with a strong westerly the sea looks very choppy indeed although a more accurate appraisal will be done tomorrow when we visit St Peter Port (the capital) for my usual Crab Salad. There's this Greek bloke who makes the best Crab Salads I've ever tasted.

There's a Farmers Market in the morning at Sausmarez Manor, but to be honest Mrs Fox only goes for the Bric a Brac stalls, and I go for the pies.....Good job I'm a runner. I keep getting pestered to talk to some of the other guests now so I'll have to go....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2017, 06:09 AM

As far as the hard landing, now you understand why it's never a good idea wish someone who is flying, "May the road rise up to meet you..." At least you knew you had arrived.

While the surf report is a bit disappointing with all that chop, it will likely be calmer in the morning should you decide to rent a wetsuit and a nine foot longboard . Regardless, it sounds like you and Mrs. Fox have a marvelous, adventuresome day planned. Just remember, "All pies and no play makes Jack a dough boy..." or something like that....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

19-08-2017, 09:56 AM

Thanks Surfermom, I'll certainly give the nine foot longboard some consideration...But at the moment I'm digesting a full English breakfast so I'd probably sink like a stone.....

This was yesterday's 'Mode of Transport' and as you can see, the airline only managed to acquire it after Mr Churchill had finished with it....

This is the view from our bedroom window, over the gardens and out to sea. It's pitched dark once the sun goes down and perfect for stargazing, I've never seen so many. Mrs Fox reckoned she saw a shooting star last night before we went to sleep, more like the effects of a G&T......The view is looking due South, so I wonder if Surfermom would explain what exactly we should be looking at....Starwise.....

myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2017, 10:33 AM

Wow !! What a gorgeous view from your bedroom
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2017, 04:29 PM

What a gorgeous view!

Hopefully you have come to the right place . This works not just for Guernsey, but generally most of the UK:

To get your bearings, look low in the sky facing south about 9:30 your time. I will introduce the lower part of the sky tonight:

1 Saturn: Fairly close to the horizon, SSW will be the brightest object in your southern view, slightly SSW, Saturn!

2. Antares: If you catch it before it sets around nine, look right and towards (down) the horizon from Saturn and you will see the star Antares (which is part of the tail of Scorpio, most of which has already set below the horizon).

3. Sagittarius: Also along the horizon, l but SSE (to your left and down) from Saturn, you will find the constellation Sagittarius (the archer). It is easiest to see by looking for the shape of a teapot. The teapot forms the body of the archer who is facing right. Here:

https://astrobob.areavoices.com/astr...super_wide.jpg

4. Milky Way: You should also be able to see the Milky Way as a band running diagonally high from your left (SSE), down towards the horizon to the right (SSW), cutting through the spout of the teapot in Sagittarius. If you are having trouble finding that spot, it may because the Milky Way appears to be so bright that it obscures some of the spout. Why?

5. Center of our galaxy: Just to the right of the spout of the teapot and more or less between the spout and Saturn tonight is the densest part of the Milky Way - and the center of our galaxy. At that center is a supermassive black hole!

6. Before you go in, look up and to your left (SSE), you might another bright star, Altair. I’ll guide you to some more interesting spots based on that start tomorrow.

Hope things are looking up!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

19-08-2017, 05:31 PM

Thanks Myrtle, yes it is a good view and you don't even have to get out of bed to see it.....

Brilliant, thanks Surfermom, at the moment (5:30p.m.) there are a few cumulus clouds drifting along just above the horizon and a sort of thin high cloud that you can see through. It might be possible to see the brighter stars you have pointed out later, but hopefully the cloud just might have cleared by the time it gets dark...

This is Mrs Fox shooing away the pigeons from the gardens, how many times do I have tell her to stop being so dramatic.......Actually, it's one of the sculptures in the grounds of Sausmarez Manor when we visited the farmers market there this morning....

All that walking around the grounds, and then the two mile walk into St Peter Port I needed to take on some food, so this delicious Crab Salad did the trick.....Shopping.......Bring it on.....

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

20-08-2017, 04:16 PM

Mrs. Fox appears to be in fine form, and that lunch is making us hungry. The weather and scenery look spectacular!

Thank you for allowing us to vicariously enjoy your holiday at less expense and fewer calories . Ah, but there is nothing like the real thing - I hope the fun continues!

Page 103 of 190 « First < 3 53 93 101 102 103 104 105 113 153 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top