Join for free
Page 69 of 370 « First < 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 119 169 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 09:03 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
What kind of bicycle are you riding?
This is it Surfermom. It looks a bit like an 'old bloke' bike (because I'm an old bloke ) but it is truly a proper mountain bike with bits added. Very strong and suited to rugged terrain:

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 03:56 PM

Nothing wrong with that bike; it looks great! Somehow I thought you were mostly road riding - impressive that you are doing some off-road riding too. I have a small hybrid I use for fitness, and this cruiser (which I like for it's retro look, being a bit retro myself) for light riding around town. The hybrid is an inexpesive workhorse and the cruiser was a garage sale find. The border collie was an option .
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	3733

Name:	IMG_5675.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	3734

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 06:14 PM

Good bikes Surfermom. Does the dog run alongside you?

I prefer to get away from the traffic when possible. Fortunately, around here, we have plenty of land where we can do so.

The tyres on the bike are a brand called 'Dutch Perfect'. They are very heavy but on the plus side, I haven't had a puncture since fitting them.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2017, 05:30 AM

Well, the bikes are old and reliable, not unlike me, I suppose. Yes, my border collie looks a bit worn out in this photo having run a short ways along side me. She's a speedster, that one.

Great tires. Nice to be off the main roads and not have to worry about a flat!

No cycling here today, but just after sunrise, the equalized land and sea pressures calmed the gulf to a mirrored finish making it perfect conditions for stand up paddleboarding. Coke bottle green, the water was clear enough to spy skates, mackerel, and a double pod of breakfasting dolphins in the hour or so I was out there. It was so serene, that I made the mistake of staying out too long and before I knew it, strong seabreezes left me having to tack and paddle like a fiend just to get back to my starting point. Apparently, I make an excellent sail.

Mother nature was not done with me yet. Waiting for it to cool down, I delayed my run until late afternoon and found myself pinned in between thunderstorms (again) that rained cats and dogs (again). Cue every car in the US to drive by and stare at me and my lack of good judgement.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

21-08-2017, 04:36 AM

I had every intention of making this a recovery day with high temperatures and humidity being forecasted, but my daughter and I decided to do a bit of river kayaking. Meandering our way through several miles of salt marsh, the river opens into an estuary where oysters and shrimp are harvested and sent to several nearby states. The perfect mix of salt and fresh water, and dense in protective grasses, the estuary serves as a nursery for hundreds of sea birds, marine life, and even young dolphins in the spring. We could see a small pod of adults fishing for silvery mullet in the direction of the afternoon sun. Wise we were (which is not always the case ) to first head up river against the winds and tide, so we could enjoy some coasting on the way back. It was a good workout...and decision.

Feeling rejuvinated after a good paddle, I ignored the word "Sunday" on the calendar, the traditional day I give my old limbs a rest, and decided to go to the neighborhood sportsplex for an easy, grassy, six miles. By far and away the best thing on this outing was a young dad with his twins, approximately four, suited up to practice some soccer skills. As young men sometimes are with their little boys, the dad was much more serious about the practice than his sons - who were half ignoring his instructions and more interested with kicking the balls towards the street than around the cones he had so carefully placed. It was a hilarious and purely enjoyable scene.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)

Name:	IMG_1240.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	3751  
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

21-08-2017, 08:26 AM

That's a lot of exercise Surfermom. I have to say that I don't do that much. I haven't got a 'daily exercise' way of life. Age is bound to govern things a bit I suppose and riding the bike 10 miles purely for exercise is now just a couple of times a week. The off-road part of those rides is down on what it was a few years ago.

There's a steep off-road hill on land near me and I ride up this once in a while to see if I can still do it. OK so far but maybe they'll find me flaked out halfway up there one day.

As well as this, there are also the times when I cycle or walk to shops, friends, dentist or hospital appointments ...or anything else that is fairly local.

Although the exercise isn't daily, I think I do a reasonable amount weekly (or weakly ). I'm still fit enough that nothing I need to do makes me tired or out of breath anyway. Hope I can stay that way for some more years yet.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 07:58 PM

Being off work for the next couple of weeks was because I need to look after my wife, but as she is such a battler and is coping extremely well with her recovery, I’m basically treating my time off as two weeks gratis holiday, though I’m still of course making sure my wife needs everything she wants so I'll be there to support her wishes. But, I’ve been encouraged to grab a few hours at any given time to go shopping, visit the gym etc so I shall be making up for some lost time. Therefore today I did a short session of high reps just to get back into it before I recommence some heavier stuff tomorrow…

Monday 21/8/17

1-Smith 60° seated press:12x30
2-Smith, push press, 15° c/g:15x30
3-Chest press: 25x40
4-Tricep extensions:35x35
5-Tricep p/d, c/g:30x41
6-Shoulder press:20x30
7-Single DB raise, flat bench:30x40
8-Lat p/d – hammer:30x35
9-Lat p/d – underarm, c/g:25x35
10-Seated row, hammer:25x35
11-20kg BB curls:20X20
12-Forearm rev. curl, BB:20x10
13-E-Z preacher curls, l/p, c/g:20x23
14-Incline press:25x150
15-Seated leg press:30x120
16-Calf press:25x120
17-Good girls:25x50
18-Bad girls:25x50
19-Ham curls, seated:25x40
20-Ab crunch: 40x40

A rather condensed write-up for me as it was all high reps. Just enough to get the muscles invigorated and ready for some heavier work from tomorrow. In fact, there’s no real reasons why I can’t train everyday for a couple of weeks. We’ll see.

Thanks for reading
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

21-08-2017, 10:48 PM

Mart, I envy you living in a location where you can cycle most places! It sounds wonderful. You must indeed be quite fit, and though I don't know how old you are, there aren't many people who are still mountain biking even occasionally - once they get into retirement. I have only one set of hills near me, rare enough that legend has it that the natives and Spanish explorers gathered there to shelter from hurricanes. Now there is a trail system that runs through them offering a healthy lung and leg workout. In the end, there is nothing better than the great outdoors...and even a little exercise allows us a bit of pastry, pasta, curries, or ice cream now and then .

Floydy, I somehow hoped that your wife would be well enought to give you the green light to get back out there again. I was scratching my head at the "good girl" and "bad girl" execises...had no idea what they were...looked them up....Aah, of course! I should have known, adductor and abductor exercises! Anyway, nice job...I know you double rep sets are quite a challenge.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

21-08-2017, 10:56 PM

I did the 10 mile cycle ride today (I'm 72 Surfermom).
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

22-08-2017, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I did the 10 mile cycle ride today (I'm 72 Surfermom).
Holy cow, Mart! You are a model for showing how arbitrary a birthday number can be! Solid mileage too .

A bit of peer pressure (phone ringing and pinging) had me giving spinning class another go this morning. It seemed like a solid workout, though I have to admit that "riding" a bike inside with music doesn't hold a candle to outdoors with Mother Nature. Even so, I am jumping at any leg workout I can get.

A quick run and some step aerobics rounded out the workout day. Along with chasing eclipses and checking on a couple of sea turtle nests assigned to me, I managed enough activity to balance out some work time behind the computer....and a chai latte I've been craving all day.

Page 69 of 370 « First < 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 119 169 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top