Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 03:17 PM

Re: Switching Gadgets Off !

I am quite happy leaving it on standby when I wheel in in the morning I can transfer to the arm chair and just pick up the remote and turn on the radio. If I had to turn it off anywhere else it would be harder to do. Anything for an easy life in the morning I think.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 11:52 PM

The stand-by wattage of most televisions and other items isn't very much these days, often less than one watt. There are a couple of TVs in our house like this and I'm not too fussy about turning them off at the mains. Other items such as the Virgin Media television boxes take about 18 watts on stand-by and I'll certainly turn these off until I want to use them.

I recommend getting a power monitor to see how much power electronic items take when in stand-by mode.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=1&*entries*=0

No need to leave it plugged in all the time but just take it around the house and plug the various you have into it. See what they take and then the monitor can be removed. Handy to see what power is being taken when items are running too.

I'd say to turn everything off at the mains if possible. Consider making it possible if an item takes more than a couple of watts.

We use remote control mains switches in a couple of places. Plug all items into this via a mains strip and use the remote control to turn them off or on all at once. The remote control operation doesn't rely on infra-red line of site. It works on an RF (radio) signal, so good for using in places where you can't reach mains switches. Admittedly the device itself has a stand-by wattage (about 0.25 of a watt) but everything plugged into it will be disconnected from the mains.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/remote-con...t-single-n78ka
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2015, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't think I have very much on standby other than TV recording box, everything else is switched off including the TV.
Same here. No matter how little it costs, I don't see the point in wasting money by leaving things on standby when I can easily switch them off. Might be different if the plugs were awkward to get to though.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2015, 03:40 PM

Even if it isn't the cost that matters, just think of people throughout the World all using a number of stand-by watts. Must amount to billions of watts collectively.

We turn a few things other than TVs and any associated boxes off at the mains. The computer and router get turned off. Also the microwave oven because the clock on that runs at about 3 watts. It's only needed when timing food and not for displaying the time constantly.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2015, 04:23 PM

The only thing that never gets turned off in our house is the fridge freezer.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2015, 09:54 AM

The only things that DO get switched off overnight in my house are the computers (NOT the internet hub) and the lights .
JainieB
Hampshire UK
JainieB is female  JainieB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2015, 09:44 AM

[QUOTE=Grumblewagon;725621]The only things that DO get switched off overnight in my house are the computers (NOT the internet hub) and the lights .[/QUOTE
I do the same, but I do have one of those extention leads as well, I keep my chargers plugged in there, and only turn them on when I use them
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2015, 12:32 PM

I only plug in my chargers when I need them, but that's very rarely. It's only if I'm doing a load of DIY and I need to keep the drill and cordless screwdriver charged up.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top