Join for free
Page 288 of 1676 « First < 188 238 278 286 287 288 289 290 298 338 388 788 1288 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2017, 01:17 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

becoming a nun takes a lot of habit!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
becoming a nun takes a lot of habit!
Yes Gummy, but you can always try to get them out of the habit.

I really enjoy watching all the old black and white films on TV.
Actress Googie Withers appears in several old films running on the Talking pictures channel, I always liked her performances, I remember she was very good in that film “One of our aircraft is missing (1942)
Our local cinema had a double bill one week, featured on the outside illuminated billboard was “One of our Dinosaurs is missing” and underneath “One flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest”, purely coincidental I’m sure.
Anyway I always thought Googie was a queer name for such a lovely lady, and after hearing all the jokes about her name when I was a youth, (older members would particularly remember the one about giving advice on how to look like Googie) I decided to look it up, her real name was Georgette Lisette Withers and she was born in Karachi, India in 1917 she was also a fluent Urdu speaker, she died in Sidney Australia in 2011. Her Father was a Captain in the Royal Navy and it was her nanny who named her Googie, which means “Little Pigeon”
Strange how today we have “Google” or “Big Fat Pigeon” spreading the word all over the world, again purely coincidental.
Useless information I know, but I’m only trying to take your mind off more serious stuff like leaving the EU or getting nuked suddenly, I’ll bet most of you didn’t know what Googie meant, now you do, ain’t you glad you logged in today.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 09:34 PM

I'll come back on that one, am presently wrangling with weirdness.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 10:12 PM

no wonder you have that little shed at the bottom of the garden Jem - you need somewhere to store all this erhm??? information - yes that's the word I was looking for - and I'm sure ya missus wouldn't want you storing it indoors next to her flying ducks on the south wall!

but ya right of course one of my little pleasures is watching a doco on various [deceased] famous or infamous people we have come across on the silver screen - in fact I think it should be mandatory - not that we watch them but that they are at least produced for our edification!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

20-08-2017, 10:20 PM

now here's a piece of information that I share with yuz all - I'll let yuz decide whether it is of use or not:

My current mobile had refused to charge up anymore with the usual plug in charger no matter what I tried so I was just about to give up on an trash it when I discovered another technique : when you purchase a new cell phone you get two chargers – one that plugs into the main socket of any electricity connection but another one that plugs into the side of your pc with a usb end – most people ignore this – when the main plug stops working this does the job just as well!

hi de ho!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 01:38 PM

That is a useful tip Gummy, so glad it made you happy, I don't use mobile phones but the missus does, I'm heading out now but I shall jot it down on a piece of paper and stick it up the backside of a flying Duck, she's sure to notice it there, she's an expert Duck stuffer.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

21-08-2017, 09:56 PM

Heard some good news for a change today.
I’m not blowing me trumpet but I have to say I’m very proud of my eldest grandson getting top marks in his leaving exams, he worked so hard for it, and all without push or shove from any of us, he’ll be heading off to Trinity College next month, well done Sean me lad.

I’m just looking up on Trinity, some famous literary fellows passed through the college, Bram Stoker, Jonathan Swift. Oliver Goldsmith, Oscar Wilde, to name but a few, all protestants too, they didn’t allow catholics into Trinity till the late 1960’s.
I passed through Trinity meself back in 1977, it’s a great short cut to St. Stephen’s Green.
I looked very smart in my navy blue suit and my Oxford tie, and as I was going under the arch a Trinity Professor noticed me and walked over “Ah my good man, I see by your tie you were at Oxford, what were you doing there?” “Buying a tie Sir”
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

21-08-2017, 10:14 PM

you're a card Jem to be sure to be sure - sitting by the sea shore heh!

I saw shamus Shaw sitting by the sea shore, shawin some drift wood to be sure to be sure
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Heard some good news for a change today.
I’m not blowing me trumpet but I have to say I’m very proud of my eldest grandson getting top marks in his leaving exams, he worked so hard for it, and all without push or shove from any of us, he’ll be heading off to Trinity College next month, well done Sean me lad.

I’m just looking up on Trinity, some famous literary fellows passed through the college, Bram Stoker, Jonathan Swift. Oliver Goldsmith, Oscar Wilde, to name but a few, all protestants too, they didn’t allow catholics into Trinity till the late 1960’s.
I passed through Trinity meself back in 1977, it’s a great short cut to St. Stephen’s Green.
I looked very smart in my navy blue suit and my Oxford tie, and as I was going under the arch a Trinity Professor noticed me and walked over “Ah my good man, I see by your tie you were at Oxford, what were you doing there?” “Buying a tie Sir”
Lets hope his CV has not been circulated to CERN, we don't want another theorist on the Payroll.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

22-08-2017, 03:35 PM

Here’s one for the Pug fella, seeing that a few years ago you sorted out the difference between a “Wheeled Chair” and a “Wheel chair’ for us.
Could you tell me what the correct term is here, some people say they will meet you at the Railway Station while others say they will meet you at the Train Station, which is right?
I was discussing this in the local the other day (I know, I’ve little to do) and I maintain that the Railway Station is correct because the rails are always stationary, only the trains move, the train is only stationary when it stops to load or unload passengers.
My opponent reckons that the train stops and becomes stationary at the train station, therefore it’s a Train Station. but stationary means it’s not at moving at all, it's not meant to move, just like a statue, it’s stopped. A trains main function is to move, if it didn’t move it would be a useless train, so it takes off and stops at a railway station because the tracks themselves never go anywhere, they’re permanently stationary, so it has to be a “Railway Station”, or has it?

Page 288 of 1676 « First < 188 238 278 286 287 288 289 290 298 338 388 788 1288 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top