Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 11:15 PM

Re: My beautiful Agapanthus

Mups have you seen this new blue and white agapanthus in Bakker's catalogue? It looks very pretty and very similar to your Queen Mum one in your first post. This one is called Agapanthus Twister ..... I'm very tempted to buy it myself

https://www.bakker.com/en-gb/p/agapa...1317377597c.LA
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 11:22 PM

They are beautiful
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 11:32 PM

Mags, I've got it!
Go on, treat yourself.

I'll double check in the morning, but I don't think mine has got anywhere near as much purple on it as the one in the picture.
I will check, because I might be getting muddled up, as I have several tubs of white ones, including a little dwarf one as well.
I have a feeling mine is nearly all white though.

The Queen Mum is very tall, but the little Twister is only a couple of feet high but very pretty.

I'll tell you what I am after next, it is quite a newish one called Strawberry Ice. It is white with just a hint of pink in the centre. I've had a devil of a job find it, but have finally put in an order from a lady in Somerset! She will send it after Christmas when they are dormant and easier to mail order.

This is the chap I bought most of mine from, Mr. Hoyland. He knows his stuff and breeds and judges these as well.
Have a look at his website Mags, there is a lot of useful information on there about how to look after them.

http://www.somethingforthegarden.co.uk/
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 11:40 PM

Thanks Mups, I've bookmarked his site... I'll have a good look at it tomorrow .....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 12:03 AM

Bet you'll like his, he has got some beauties.

I've got my eye on "Black Panter" too, it would look stunning amongst the white ones.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 01:00 AM

They're called Star of Bethlehem here because they flower at Christmas - Public parks and gardens liked them because they need little love or maintenance and grow just about anywhere.

However these characteristics are also turning them into a terrible invasive weed and the flowers rarely last long because vigilantes go around decapitating them before they can form seeds (which blow everywhere and sprout).
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

12-08-2017, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
They're called Star of Bethlehem here because they flower at Christmas - Public parks and gardens liked them because they need little love or maintenance and grow just about anywhere.

However these characteristics are also turning them into a terrible invasive weed and the flowers rarely last long because vigilantes go around decapitating them before they can form seeds (which blow everywhere and sprout).

Don't think they are quite the same thing Bruce.
Different botanical name, and different type of flower.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 03:45 PM

I don't get much luck with them.
There are some on a roundabout by Tesco, they' ve gone to seed but still look pretty!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

12-08-2017, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Thanks Mups, I've bookmarked his site... I'll have a good look at it tomorrow .....

MAGS - I've told you a porkie! I am so sorry. I know I was looking at 'Twister' at the nurseries in Northampton in the spring, and I thought I had bought one.

It appears I haven't!

Well if I did, I don't know where I've put it!

The one I thought it was is the same height as Twister, but all white, and it is called 'Sylvia.'

Senile old wotsit I'm getting.

I do like it though, and think I'm going to have to treat myself along with the Strawberry Ice and Black Panther.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

12-08-2017, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
MAGS - I've told you a porkie! I am so sorry. I know I was looking at 'Twister' at the nurseries in Northampton in the spring, and I thought I had bought one.

It appears I haven't!

Well if I did, I don't know where I've put it!

The one I thought it was is the same height as Twister, but all white, and it is called 'Sylvia.'

Senile old wotsit I'm getting.

I do like it though, and think I'm going to have to treat myself along with the Strawberry Ice and Black Panther.
We all have our moments, Mups

I would love to see a Strawberry Ice and Black Panther on, they both sounds very interesting...

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top