Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 09:31 PM

Re: Needle work

Beautiful work Eliza, a very satisfying hobby I would imagine.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 09:36 PM

Thank you Mags it was.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Thank you Meg and Pesta.

Cross stitch was not my thing either Pesta ,do you still have the ones you finished from your Gran , I would love to see these .

Hi Eliza...no, I haven't got any now. As with most things I part with (if they're sound and in good nick) I give them to charity or hospice shops.

I think if I did still have them, I would probably bin them. There's nowhere for them here and they're just not fashionable. I know there's a lot of retro springing up everywhere and lacey things but I can't say I've seen the old embroidered stuff.

One runner I did keep for quite a long time though - I used it to go on a table under the bird cage to save the table getting marked. That one ended up in the bin as it looked too dreadful to do anything else with.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 08:47 PM

Thanks for reply Pesta, like you Ive binned some of mine, the few that i kept are tucked away at the bottom of a drawer ,
I like to take them out now and again and look at them ,I expect they will one day be binned to .
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 09:51 PM

Very impressed person here too.

My late mother worked for a while as a Masonic Embroiderer but found it boring.
I guess I must have inherited the ability to 'embroider' ... or not ! lol

A couple of decades ago I got into doing cross stitch (as a hobby) and did a few cross stitches of our house, parents' house etc.

Got stuck when I failed to remember how to do French Knots so gave up trying to do climbing roses.

I am totally useless at following written instructions.

There's a really nice piece of cross stitch (albeit a pattern from a kit) that MIL did, which is framed and hanging in my hallway.

Thank you Eliza for showing us your work ... lovely, beautiful and it's so good that you have the photographic evidence to keep forever and impress your friends and descendants
Eliza
Chatterbox
England

06-10-2016, 10:59 PM

Hi Rachel thanks for reply ,most of my embroidery was done with the lines on the fabric , so was not to difficult to do . Some was free hand and i did make mistakes but that's what made them unique to me, and I was no where near as perfect at shading as others ..
I found the French knot easy and fast to cover a piece , here's one i did that's mostly French knots .

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030972.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	2024  
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Hi Rachel thanks for reply ,most of my embroidery was done with the lines on the fabric , so was not to difficult to do . Some was free hand and i did make mistakes but that's what made them unique to me, and I was no where near as perfect at shading as others ..
I found the French knot easy and fast to cover a piece , here's one i did that's mostly French knots .
Eeeeeek ... lol
The Frenck Knot Superb

My friend and I (primary school) were really good at them but **** if I could do them when I last tried

Hmmmmm ... I shall have another go ... you are giving me inspiration
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2016, 02:15 PM

I'm no needle-worker but my wife very much is. She does cross-stitch and quilting. She had to stop doing cross stitch pictures when there was no more room on the walls to hang them.

Took advantage of the nice weather to wash the quilt:

Eliza
Chatterbox
England

14-10-2016, 03:50 PM

Tell your wife they are beautiful Mart ,far better than any i've ever done and shown on here,
i tried quilting by hand before I took up embroidery but i failed .So im quite envious of your wifes work ..
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

14-10-2016, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I'm no needle-worker but my wife very much is. She does cross-stitch and quilting. She had to stop doing cross stitch pictures when there was no more room on the walls to hang them.

Took advantage of the nice weather to wash the quilt:
Beautiful quilt
Many years ago I made a fairly simple patchwork quilt for our bed, which was a way of using up a great many jumble sale cotton items I'd bought over the years.

I always knew I was collecting them for some good reason.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top