Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 06:57 PM

Re: lasting power of attorney

I did it for my Mum a couple of months ago. I got quotes from 3 solicitors and they were all around £1200. Mum and I thought that was very expensive. I then did it on the Government website and it was very straightforward as others on here have said. That cost a total of £220 for both parts so we saved £1000.

We felt the care and health part was as important as the property and finance so we did both but you can just do one if you prefer.

We used a good neighbour of Mums to witness everything and, as I said, there were no problems.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 07:05 PM

We did this last summer after OH's diagnoses. Ive read too many horror stories of people being sent to nursing homes far from family, being given care they had always said they didnt want or not being given care they would have wanted.

I have POA for OH and my daughter has it for me and/or OH if Im not around as and when we are unable to make decisions for ourselves.
There is a clause to include whats to happen to our pets if we have any at the time and also it includes a clause indicating our funeral wishes.

I like being organised
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 07:20 PM

We've just paid £110 on the Gov Website " The Office Of Public Guardian ". And printed off all of 24 pages, it's easier than doing the paper version. It prompts you and wont let you go any further if you key a wrong answer or miss something off. If your on benefits it comes down in price..
We have an appointment with our MIL doctor for signing this week from everyone concerned and then we'll send it to government address..
Emerald
Yorkshire
Emerald is female  Emerald has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 08:01 PM

I don't know which part of the country you are in Susan, but if you have a local university which teaches Law, they often have a walk-in session once a week where students (overseen by their tutors) complete this type of proceeding at no cost. I had this done by students at our local university. It's worth checking up on.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top