Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 03:28 PM

Christmas morning easy peasy stress free breakfast

The Christmas morning breakfast for those of us who don’t feel like being a fast food chef

Hi everyone, He who must obey finished for Christmas break on Wednesday. I know he loves a nice cooked breakfast when he doesn’t have to go to work (when it normally consists of a cup of tea!) so had been looking for some easy recipes that I knew he would love but wouldn’t have me tied to the cooker and washing up rather than enjoying the day with him. Yes, I really am turning into a lazy madam since retiring. Lol.
Anyway, I found it! He loved it! So that’s us sorted for Christmas morning.

Obviously, if you are cooking your Turkey then this delicious breakfast may be more suited to Boxing day you because you want to prepare this the night before and just shove it into a preheated oven on Christmas day morning for one and half hours, pour yourself a cuppa, glass of wine or sherry (well it is Christmas!) and relax! That is the whole point!.

Here with the recipe. I know you will enjoy as much as we did and intend to again.

CHRISTMAS BREAKFAST SAUSAGE CASSEROLE

Prepare the night before……you will need

1lb pork sausages, (any type will do, I used Sage sausages but have bought some Lincolnshire sausages for Christmas day. Vegetarian sausages would be scrummy too, Just take the sausagemeat out of the skins and put the sausagemeat into a dish)

1 teaspoon of mustard powder

½ teaspoon of salt

4 Eggs beaten

2 cups (16 fl.oz) milk

6 slices white bread toasted and cut into cubes.

8oz Grated Cheddar Cheese (it said Mild Cheddar but only had Strong - it was lovely)

METHOD

Crumble the sausagemeat into a frying pan and cook until browned. Drain.

In a bowl, mix together the Mustard, Salt, Beaten eggs and Milk. Now add the sausagemeat, cubed Toast and grated Cheese to the mix and stir to coat evenly.

Transfer to about a 9x13 baking dish, cover and chill in the Fridge overnight or at least a minimum of 8 hours.

MORNING OF MAKING THE BREAKFAST

Preheat your oven to 350/180/gas 4.

Cover the baking dish and pop into the oven for between 50/60 minutes.

Take the cover off, reduce the oven to 160/325/gas mark 3 and continue cooking for a further 30 minutes.

ENJOY! HAVE A LOVELY STRESS FREE CHRISTMAS EVERYONE.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breakfast_Sausage_Casserole_1002.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	2479  
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 03:40 PM

Re: Christmas morning easy peasy stress free breakfast

Sounds lovely SG ... but think I'll settle for a slice of toast ... it's much easier
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 04:06 PM

LOL. So would I honestly, but he who must obey loves a cooked brekkie no matter what day it is when he is not working. I'm a put two eggs in a saucepan of boiling water for 3.1/2 minutes if I can get away from it/
However. although there is a bit of work mixing all the ingredients in a bowl the night before, (okay, squeezing the sausagemeat out of the skins requires a glass of wine to accompany it) it really is the simplest of breakfasts to do the following morning so well worth it for somethng different, easy peasy and no effort whatsoever. I'm all for that!

Have a really nice Christmas xx
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 04:16 PM

Thank goodness I don't have an "he who must obey"
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
Thank goodness I don't have an "he who must obey"
Get the kettle on wench and be quick about it.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk

23-12-2016, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Get the kettle on wench and be quick about it.
those days are long gone Nom Ermmmmm ... but seeing as it's you ... OK then
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 06:36 PM

Sounds good but it'll be cereal, toast and a boiled egg here.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 06:42 PM

I like the sound of this ShropshireG youre full of delicious tasty recipes ...I shall definately be giving this a try out wether it be for xmas day morning or another day over xmas ...so thankyou for posting it it looks quick and simple and very very tasty mmm...looking forward to it!!
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 06:53 PM

Sounds good to me , but what with Christmas Stockings, getting Turkey-Lurkey in oven, going to Church , don"t think I will have the time tbh.
Slice of toast spread with marmite will have to suffice + strong coffee will have to suffice.
LAL
x
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2016, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
The Christmas morning breakfast for those of us who don’t feel like being a fast food chef

Hi everyone, He who must obey finished for Christmas break on Wednesday. I know he loves a nice cooked breakfast when he doesn’t have to go to work (when it normally consists of a cup of tea!) so had been looking for some easy recipes that I knew he would love but wouldn’t have me tied to the cooker and washing up rather than enjoying the day with him. Yes, I really am turning into a lazy madam since retiring. Lol.
Anyway, I found it! He loved it! So that’s us sorted for Christmas morning.

Obviously, if you are cooking your Turkey then this delicious breakfast may be more suited to Boxing day you because you want to prepare this the night before and just shove it into a preheated oven on Christmas day morning for one and half hours, pour yourself a cuppa, glass of wine or sherry (well it is Christmas!) and relax! That is the whole point!.

Here with the recipe. I know you will enjoy as much as we did and intend to again.

CHRISTMAS BREAKFAST SAUSAGE CASSEROLE

Prepare the night before……you will need

1lb pork sausages, (any type will do, I used Sage sausages but have bought some Lincolnshire sausages for Christmas day. Vegetarian sausages would be scrummy too, Just take the sausagemeat out of the skins and put the sausagemeat into a dish)

1 teaspoon of mustard powder

½ teaspoon of salt

4 Eggs beaten

2 cups (16 fl.oz) milk

6 slices white bread toasted and cut into cubes.

8oz Grated Cheddar Cheese (it said Mild Cheddar but only had Strong - it was lovely)

METHOD

Crumble the sausagemeat into a frying pan and cook until browned. Drain.

In a bowl, mix together the Mustard, Salt, Beaten eggs and Milk. Now add the sausagemeat, cubed Toast and grated Cheese to the mix and stir to coat evenly.

Transfer to about a 9x13 baking dish, cover and chill in the Fridge overnight or at least a minimum of 8 hours.

MORNING OF MAKING THE BREAKFAST

Preheat your oven to 350/180/gas 4.

Cover the baking dish and pop into the oven for between 50/60 minutes.

Take the cover off, reduce the oven to 160/325/gas mark 3 and continue cooking for a further 30 minutes.

ENJOY! HAVE A LOVELY STRESS FREE CHRISTMAS EVERYONE.

We have a cafe here in Brighton that makes 'BOBOTIE' - a South African dish - exactly like this, its fabulous!!!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top