Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2017, 10:24 PM

Rice and Veggie Cupcakes.

Hi everyone, have two of my gorilla’s round tonight to watch the Man City v West Ham cup match with their dad so decided to try a recipe that my daughter-in-law (Vegetarian) passed me just to have something different for a snack. She promises that they will be delicious, They take a little time to prepare but she says absolutely well worth it and it won’t be the last time I will do them. (we will see|). Just waiting for the oven to pre-heat so I can pop them in for them to snack on at half-time. So far it has been very easy, it does take about 40 minutes to prepare but I have had plenty of time as it has been p…...g with rain here today so started preparing this morning. Hopefully they will come out successful. If not it will be plan B and Pasties!!

Rice And Vegetable Cupcakes.(this makes 6 )

Preheat the oven to 200c(180c Fan)/400f/Gas Mark 6.

Ingredients

150 grams Rice
140 grams grated Courgette (I only had pre-packed so chopped it finely)
20 grams Butter
90 grams finely chopped Onion
4 x cloves of Garlic peeled and crushed ( I used 4 x teaspoons from my jar of Very Lazy Minced Garlic).
1 x small Red Chilli, seeds removed and sliced finely.
90 grams of finely chopped Carrot.
1 tablespoon of finely chopped Parsley
Salt and Pepper
40 grams finely chopped Baby Spinach Leaves (didn’t have any so have chopped up Broccoli finely instead)
2 x large Eggs (mine weighed about 59 grams each)
44 grams of grated Parmesan Cheese
36 grams of Cheddar Cheese cut into 6 equal slices
3 x Cherry Tomatoes halved or 6 small slices of tomato
Sweet Chilli Sauce to serve.

Method,

Grease 6 of the holes of a Muffin tray. Line the bottom of them with a circle of baking paper.

Boil Rice according to directions. Drain and set aside for later.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan, Add the diced onion, chilli and garlic and cook for 2 minutes on a gentle heat “without” browning, stirring occasionally. After 2 minutes add the carrot for another 2 minutes again stirring occasionally.

Now add the courgette, baby spinach leaves, parsley, salt and pepper, Stir to combine and cook for another 1 minute.

Remove the saucepan from the heat. Transfer the veggie mixture to a largish bowl. Stir in the rice and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
Stir eggs and Parmesan cheese into the rice mixture. Fill the muffin holes, pressing down so that the cakes hold together.

Cook in the oven for between 24 and 30 minutes or until lightly browned on top.

Serve with Sweet Chilli Sauce (I warm it for 15 seconds in the microwave cos don't like cold sauce over hot food)

Hey Ho, running late now because of typing this!!! Half time come and gone. LOL. coming out of the oven in 5 minutes. Smell delicious, had a peep and they are looking good.
Will let you know how they turn out after the Gorilla’s verdicts.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rice-Veggie-Cupcakes-Recipe-By-Photo.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	2526  
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2017, 11:19 PM

Re: Rice and Veggie Cupcakes.

Sounds good, I make omelettes in cup cake tins too using either bacon cheese and tomato or just cheese and tomato they make nice snacks too, also macaroni cheeses in cup cake pans. Anything cupcake sized is popular with my lot.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 12:46 PM

Hi Julie, that sounds really nice, will have to try them.

Silly me, forgot to say to put the slices of Cheddar cheese on top before placing them in the oven to cook!! How else would they go brown?? groan. sorry about that, was in a rush last night.

Well, I personally found the one that I had really yummy. I should have upped the quantity though because the gorilla's had two each and he who must obey one.I found one was very filling for me but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Verdict? really nice different snack for a change and super snack for everyone when they come round especially as two of the family are vegetarian.

My gorilla's found them tasty(well, they didn't complain anyway) but I had the feeling that I could have been feeding them anything as they were too intent on watching the football, and when I asked them what they thought of them I managed to get a simple "nice". NICE! what the hell is nice?
I could have done with other female family members to taste them and give their honest appraisal as you know what men are like, I got the feeling their eyes would have lit up more if I had served up the usual pasties, sausage rolls and tomato ketchup because their noses would have picked up a familiar aroma and they probably wouldn't have even had to look away from the match at what they were shoveling into their mouths!

I give up!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 02:33 PM

I know what you mean mine aren't sport watchers but a sci if box set can completely mesmerise them. Mind I can feed them anything then great way to get rid of less popular bakes

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top