Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Shadowman
Wisconsin, USA
Shadowman is male  Shadowman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 09:37 PM

Re: Climate Change

Many nuclear tests kick up a lot of dust, which reflects sunlight, thereby cooling the Earth. *Indeed, according to Turco et al, 1983, that is the dominant effect of nuclear explosions on climate. *The result is that nuclear testing is likely to have reflected more energy from the Sun than they generated. *That is, nuclear testing is likely to have been a net cooling factor.
https://skepticalscience.com/nuclear.html

As for Volcanic activity, in modern times the CO2 produced by human activity is far, far greater and constant. Both nuclear activity and volcanic activity have been taken into account by scientists.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 09:47 PM

You're all wrong.

As Cameron, BLiar and many others will tell you, the rapid increase in global temperatures are as a result of our voting for Brexit.

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You're all wrong.

As Cameron, BLiar and many others will tell you, the rapid increase in global temperatures are as a result of our voting for Brexit.

But Donald Trump has seen through the BS....Good on him.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 10:53 PM

Correct......the dust particlez would have the reverse effect of what realist suggests.

We've all heard of a nuclear winter.......never a summer
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Correct......the dust particlez would have the reverse effect of what realist suggests.

We've all heard of a nuclear winter.......never a summer
The dust particles would only cause a nuclear winter at the time of detonation as the particles would soon fall to earth but the doom merchants claim it's the CO2 in the atmosphere that causes the greenhouse effect and global warming. But being that CO2 is heavier than air I dispute that. I also believe that if the climate does warm up more water vapour is swept up from the oceans [which account for around two thirds of the worlds surface] and the result is clouds which counter the greenhouse effect. So the climate is more or less self regulating as it has been ever since the world was created.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don't think the intentions of this thread is to prove just how beastly the nasty Brits have been to the Aussies or the indigenous population Pummie, but
every opportunity to diss the Brits is leaped upon with relish by our Antipodean cousins.......
Not at all, Fox.
You are perfectly right that it is not the intention of the thread to "diss" either the Yanks or the Poms.

HOWEVER, Realist's realistic historical comments about American atomic testing was justifiably scathing.
And I respectfully suggest that in that context, parallels between American and British actions became relevant.
Originally Posted by Realist ->
... the US dropped 2 nuclear bombs on Japan during the war.
... the United States of America conducted (by official count) 1054 nuclear tests ...
The US repeatedly bombed the South Pacific islands ...
They effectively murdered a generation of native islanders ...
These atrocities aside ....
What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.”
(But maybe not for the fox ? )
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 11:58 PM

Can't and wont argue with that, pumice.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2017, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don't think the intentions of this thread is to prove just how beastly the nasty Brits have been to the Aussies or the indigenous population Pummie, but every opportunity to diss the Brits is leaped upon with relish by our Antipodean cousins.......
Hang on! you pommies can "diss" the French, the Germans, the Americans, the Eastern Europeans, Muslims and just about anyone to the point of ridicule and disdain but when someone suggests that the British are slightly less than perfect you get all precious and hurt?

Come on, grow some...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-01-2017, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Hang on! you pommies can "diss" the French, the Germans, the Americans, the Eastern Europeans, Muslims and just about anyone to the point of ridicule and disdain but when someone suggests that the British are slightly less than perfect you get all precious and hurt?

Come on, grow some...
I've got a perfectly satisfactory pair already thank you Bruce......

Okay, Realist mentioned the American nuclear testing, but there are many more countries who have participated it testing nuclear weapons and I suspect that the total to date far exceeds the 1000 that was quoted. It's not about who did what to whom, it's about long term pollution of our planet, and I would suspect that taking account of the enormous power of a nuclear bomb the pollution would far outweigh anything that industry has produced.

I'm sorry if you took offence, I should not have lumped all our Antipodean cousins together. I meant Pummie specifically, he throws in a hand grenade and then steps back to watch the excitement. It was clearly a deviation from the topic.....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2017, 11:24 AM

Surely we need a warmer climate to grow stuff?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top