Join for free
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 02:46 PM

February events.

A few things to look out for on the same night in Febrary.

New Year Comet

The New Year comet - or to give it its Sunday name, 45P/Honda–Mrkos–Pajdušáková (its is named after the astronomers who discovered it back in 1948, although it’s not clear who was called 45P).

Regardless, the comet’s path will be closest to Earth on February 11 and it will be visible from 1am. Like other comets, this one is mass of rock, dust, water and ice.

It’s been dubbed the New Year Comet because it appeared right next to the moon on New Year’s Eve 2016, giving off a blue-green colour with its tail trailing behind it.

Penumbral Lunar Eclipse

More subtle than a total eclipse - and with less of a ring to it, if you’re Bonnie Tyler - it’s likely you’ll have to squint hard to get a proper look at this.

Boiled down, a penumbral eclipse is when the moon passes through the outermost shadow of the Earth - the penumbra - meaning we will only see a darker shadow move across the moon’s surface, but it won’t be pitch black.

In the UK, we should see the eclipse from around 10.34pm on the evening of February 10, but it will be at its maximum around 12.43am in the early hours of February 11, ending around 2.53am.

Because the moon will be above the horizon at this time, you should be able to watch the whole eclipse from start to finish. Reminder to wrap up warm #1.

On the same evening, the Snow Moon - also known as the Hunger Moon - will also be present and correct. It will become full at 12.32am in the early hours of February 11.

Although it looks the same as a regular moon, the February full moon was known by early native American tribes as the Snow Moon because the heaviest snows usually fell during this time of the year.

As hunting was difficult, this moon was also known by some tribes as the Hunger Moon, or even the Bone Moon because people had so little food that they were forced to gnaw on bones and make meals of bone marrow soup.

So, I’m gauging from this that the Snow Moon is simply a full moon. In February. Slightly less excited about this one now, if I’m honest. But let’s plough on.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats...lipse-12536304
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 03:28 PM

Re: February events.

Thankyou nom
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 03:29 PM

Thanks from me too
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 03:50 PM

That's interesting to note, thanks for that info Nom
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
A few things to look out for on the same night in Febrary.

New Year Comet

The New Year comet - or to give it its Sunday name, 45P/Honda–Mrkos–Pajdušáková (its is named after the astronomers who discovered it back in 1948, although it’s not clear who was called 45P).

Regardless, the comet’s path will be closest to Earth on February 11 and it will be visible from 1am. Like other comets, this one is mass of rock, dust, water and ice.

It’s been dubbed the New Year Comet because it appeared right next to the moon on New Year’s Eve 2016, giving off a blue-green colour with its tail trailing behind it.

Penumbral Lunar Eclipse

More subtle than a total eclipse - and with less of a ring to it, if you’re Bonnie Tyler - it’s likely you’ll have to squint hard to get a proper look at this.

Boiled down, a penumbral eclipse is when the moon passes through the outermost shadow of the Earth - the penumbra - meaning we will only see a darker shadow move across the moon’s surface, but it won’t be pitch black.

In the UK, we should see the eclipse from around 10.34pm on the evening of February 10, but it will be at its maximum around 12.43am in the early hours of February 11, ending around 2.53am.

Because the moon will be above the horizon at this time, you should be able to watch the whole eclipse from start to finish. Reminder to wrap up warm #1.

On the same evening, the Snow Moon - also known as the Hunger Moon - will also be present and correct. It will become full at 12.32am in the early hours of February 11.

Although it looks the same as a regular moon, the February full moon was known by early native American tribes as the Snow Moon because the heaviest snows usually fell during this time of the year.

As hunting was difficult, this moon was also known by some tribes as the Hunger Moon, or even the Bone Moon because people had so little food that they were forced to gnaw on bones and make meals of bone marrow soup.

So, I’m gauging from this that the Snow Moon is simply a full moon. In February. Slightly less excited about this one now, if I’m honest. But let’s plough on.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats...lipse-12536304
You know what grips my crap is that all those wonderful astronomical events happen at some ungodly times...the universe needs to get its crap together and do them at a time reasonable to normal civilised people...but thanks anyway mate.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
You know what grips my crap is that all those wonderful astronomical events happen at some ungodly times...the universe needs to get its crap together and do them at a time reasonable to normal civilised people...but thanks anyway mate.
Or the cloud covers any decent view.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 05:18 PM

So try Nom, I think it's a plot, maybe we are not really ready, I think I will have a lie down...I am having problems getting my head around the universe and now they tell me it's a bloody hologram?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 07:07 PM

And the Stars in the Sky, don't mean nothing to you, they're a Mirror.

That's all I am prepared to say on this matter, I don't wanna to talk about it.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

02-02-2017, 07:22 PM

I think we should stick with the Earth being the centre of the Universe and everything goes around it in nice pretty circles, it was so much easier in them days...

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 07:43 PM

Thanks Nom, I'll tell the grandson to watch out for those events, he got a new telescope recently and loves all that stuff, just hope the weather is not too bad.
I remember as a young man courting I said to the girlfriend one beautiful starry night "Darling shall we pause and look at the Moon" "We can look at the Moon alright, but keep your paws to yourself"
Sorry, I couldn't resist that old chestnut.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top