Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2017, 08:55 PM

Chemicals, Chemicalz and Yet More Chemicals

Is you home septic or antiseptic? I watched an investigation from German TV where a housewife was tasked with buying chemicals from her local supermarket to match the cleaning needs of her house and family. One husband and two teenage boys.

The usual suspects were cleaned thoroughly using the manufacturers' recommended chemical (names quite familiar over here in GB. When she had finished all tasks, the house didn't look any cleaner, as it was immaculate to start with.

A microbiologist then took slides from all the surfaces she had cleaned, labelled and then took them back to his laboratory. The claims of the makers were then gradually disproved.

It seems to me, that ultra cleanliness and excessive pouring of chemicals into the water table is wrong and a waste of money and resources. When you were young, didn't you have a pocket full of dirt and earthworms to shew mummy? It seem that a little dirt didn't hurt anyone.

What do you think?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2017, 09:00 PM

Re: Chemicals, Chemicalz and Yet More Chemicals

I like a clean toilet seat to sit on and gave my toilet a dab of bleach today , The sink gets a wash with cream cleaner , and the Bath too .
gvm
Sussex, UK
gvm is male  gvm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2017, 09:09 PM

I hardly use any. I like things associated with food to be reasonably clean but I'm not too worried about other stuff
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2017, 09:17 PM

Yes Dobra I believe excessive cleaning is getting well out of hand with some people. TV advertisements have a lot to answer for, brainwashing us into thinking that we need this chemical and that chemical. We used to wash our clothes in HOT water and this would destroy most of the bacteria, now we are told to save the planet, and energy, by washing in lower temperatures, the downside is of course that we now have to use stronger washing powders and liquids and add extra chemicals to destroy the bacteria.
All of which end up down the drain.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2017, 09:31 PM

Apart from bleach in the loo, I've been using white vinegar and sodium bicarbonate for lots of cleaning jobs.
It's still chemicals, but not as harsh as branded cleaners and of course they're not harmful to ingest in small amounts if they should get onto food etc.
I think we're much too fussy about germs, we need to build up resistance.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2017, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by gvm ->
I hardly use any. I like things associated with food to be reasonably clean but I'm not too worried about other stuff
Snap! That's what l think!
I think you risk your life inhaling all these cleaning products!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2017, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Apart from bleach in the loo, I've been using white vinegar and sodium bicarbonate for lots of cleaning jobs.
It's still chemicals, but not as harsh as branded cleaners and of course they're not harmful to ingest in small amounts if they should get onto food etc.
I think we're much too fussy about germs, we need to build up resistance.
Hi

Well said Tessa.

Suitable for the vast majority of cleaning.

The only other thing needed is Hydrogen Peroxide, 2% is contact lens fluid, 12% will sterilise any chopping board, it is incredibly cheap to buy.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2017, 10:43 PM

There are far too many useless cleaning/antiseptic products on the market today, I'm not surprised they don't do what they say on the label, we are fools to believe it in the first place.
Back in the old days every house had only one disinfectant, a huge bottle of Jeyes Fluid, killed every known germ and that was just by the small of the stuff without going near them, worked wonders and added to boiling water lasted for a very long time, we didn't need anything else and we're all still here as proof.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2017, 11:30 PM

There was a time when people just used 'Elbow Grease'

Many of these chemicals used in our daily lives cause allergies.some can make you ill as well .
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 12:01 AM

Doesn't the same apply to ladies beauty products......?

Retires to a safe distance from ground zero...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top