Join for free
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 06:36 PM

Dangerous Tumble Dryers

Some tumble dryers ; whirlpool/hotpoint/indesit

http://money.aol.co.uk/2017/02/23/wh...d-immediately/

https://safety.hotpoint.eu/index.jsp
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 06:38 PM

Re: Dangerous Tumble Dryers

This was all on the news last night PD.
I can't remember the numbers now, but these companies have only mended a fraction of the dryers people have got, and everyone else has been told to unplug them and not use them any more.
Naturally folks are up in arms now as they are stuck with a dryer taking up room that they can't even use.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 07:11 PM

This has been going on for 1 yr now, they came down and repaired ours a long time ago.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 07:30 PM

I just thought it might be helpful to anyone who had not seen the news about it.

They've finally admitted that there is a problem. Rather than telling people not to leave them when operating.

Hotpoint link tells you if yours is likely to be a problem. Fortunately, mine has a round green sticker on it, so it's not one that's suspect. Modifications had already been done.

I've only had it 3 years, so if it had already been modified, this must have been a long standing issue that they have known about, not just in the last 12 months.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 07:30 PM

I have always been cautious with tumble dryers. I never would leave it on if I was not there.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 08:57 AM

We had one of the dangerous ones. We'd been using it for a good number of years too. I was always aware how much fluff built up on the filter after a drying cycle and would clean it thoroughly each time. Maybe I'm wrong but I felt the dryer was safe if careful about this. As said, we'd had been running it for years.

The alert on the dryer wasn't ignored though and we booked a call. When the time came, they went to the wrong address because of a mistake (by them) in our postcode.

We booked another call that would have been months away. Then we saw the offer of a replacement at a reduced price. About £80 I think it was. Having had our money's worth out of the old tumble-dryer, we went for it. The new one was delivered quickly and the old one taken away.

The new one is OK but tends not to leave the clothes not so dry. They really need putting through the drying process for a bit longer than a programmed cycle. The old one may have been dangerous but it certainly worked better.

Anyway, all resolved for us now.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 11:26 AM

Ours was fixed last year, but I've never been one for leaving it on when I'm not here, and clean the lint filter after each cycle so I think it was fairly safe anyway.

My mils td caught fire years ago she kept it in her shed, it set fire to the shed, garage next to it and two cars in the garage, hedge and next doors shed. That was an expensive afternoon for her !
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 02:26 AM

Yes, I don't like them much either; all that being buffeted about in a confined space, I much prefer using a towel after I have had a shower.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 08:55 AM

Don't blame you Bruce I find my hair goes dreadfully static if I use the tumble dryer rather than a towel.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Yes, I don't like them much either; all that being buffeted about in a confined space, I much prefer using a towel after I have had a shower.
Ah! you're using it wrong. If using a tumble-dryer to dry the body, stand in front of the hot air outlet hose and dance the twist.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top