Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 11:13 PM

Re: Have You Ever Tried Rye Bread?

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Because of my recent tummy troubles, I thought l would give wheat bread a miss and try Rye bread. I bought a loaf called 'Try Rye' but l find it tastes very sour.! Is this usual? To me it is very heavy and a bit like Irish Soda bread.
Bready questions . . . !

My hobby (obsession!)

So, rye is a super grain imo. Very flavoursome. It adds a nutty flavour to most breads.

I like to add a small quantity of rye to any bread I make, it just makes it that much better.

Rye itself is not sour. However the way many rye based breads are made will result in natural sourness. That's basically because they are sourdoughs. They are made with natural wild yeast just as white sourdoughs are.

The wild yeast is naturally slightly sour (though they can be made sweet for example in the case of Christmas Pannetonnes).

The real sourness comes from the method. A long fermentation of the dough makes a loaf with more sourness than a loaf made with a much shorter fermentation.

Sourdough addicts love the sourness and deep flavour. So they will often bulk ferment a loaf for at least 24 hrs, retarding it in the fridge for the duration so it doesn't over-proof.

This is a basic dark rye loaf I made:

It is a very dense loaf and not the kind of loaf to toast. It's best eaten with cheeses and the like. It is delicious and deeply flavoured, made with 100% dark rye flour and raised with wild yeast also made from rye flour.

Rye contains far less gluten than wheat and the gluten it has is relatively poor. Gluten in bread is responsible for the matrix structure which traps the CO2 so strong gluten in white flour results in a well raised "airy" loaf. Rye on the other hand with its poor gluten doesn't trap CO2 well and so results in very dense breads.

However if you have some kind of gluten intolerance then rye breads are a good option as the gluten content is low.

I very much like the loaves that artisan bakers call "light rye". These are white loaves with a mix of rye flour. So you get the good rise and shape from the gluten in the white flour but also the lovely nutty taste and deeper flavours of the rye.

I recommend you seek out a proper artisan bakery in your town/city and try a few different breads, there are plenty in the Midlands. Really I would recommend you don't buy supermarket bread in any shape or form. They all contain nasty ingredients to artificially (unnaturally) increase shelf life. Those are the kind of ingredients that upset people's digestive system and make them think they are gluten intolerant.

Lot's of ryes to try including pumpernickel and vollkornbrot and borodinsky.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2017, 09:56 AM

I used to make my own bread a long time ago. I wasn't very good at it though. I might well have another bash as I eat a lot of the stuff. I also used to make cheese but it was vile really. I used to kid myself it was nice but it was far from it. I can still taste it now if I think back.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2017, 12:26 PM

I love rye bread - that sourness makes it perfect for eating with cheese. With a strong Cheddar or a ripe Brie it is delicious!!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top