Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 05:11 PM

Re: As if we don't already have enough food worries...

Quote from LD
"I keep meaning to start a veggie meals thread in fact."

I really like to see a thread on Veggie meals LD .
I want meals that wont leave me hungry please.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 07:05 PM

I have some pork chops slowly cooking in my slow cooker as I type.
I'm so looking forward to them.

I don't think I could give up meat altogether.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 10:35 PM

I'm not a huge fan of pork, but I do like some nice tender chops.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 01:05 PM

It's all rather scary isn't it. Of course we are more careful with Chicken and Pork as we hear so many scare stories regarding these two. I only buy fresh Corn Fed Chicken for the two of us, it costs more but the taste is so much better. I also buy 3 of the cheapest British Chickens from Tesco each week for the pampered pups. They are in a tray and covered but I still use a separate oven dish that we wouldn't use to cook our own food in, I also always have a box of plastic gloves ready to wear, cut around the covering on the chicken, pick the chicken out of the tray with the cut out covering and place it into the oven tray. I just don't like handling chicken for hygienic reasons, or maybe I am paranoid because although I bin the gloves immediately after, I still scrub everywhere that I have been handling raw chicken and then my hands!. Even the cloth is binned.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 06:28 PM

Sounds just a tad like overkill ..... ?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 08:00 PM

Guilty as charged Pumi. He who must obey says I get worse as I get older!! can't help it though. that's me!
When I think back to when I used to sit in front of the fire when I was a child and help Mum pluck the feathers from chickens and huge Turkey at Christmas time!! There were never any scare stories back then and none of us were ever ill either. It makes one think!
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 10:05 PM

Well, when we were kids, I don't think they used all the growth hormones and antibiotics that they do now, if they used any at all. People bought their meat fresh from butchers and even meats sold through grocery stores weren't loaded up with drugs and hormones and god knows what else they pump these animals full of.

I use gloves when handling chicken (or any type of poultry) as well, but I do it for different reasons - I'm allergic to raw poultry, as well as underdone eggs (I can eat eggs, but both the white and the yolk must be thoroughly cooked) and if I handle raw poultry, my skin will break out into an itchy rash. So I have to wear gloves when working with raw chicken. And if I eat undercooked eggs or unwittingly eat undercooked chicken, my throat swells and itches and I'm pretty miserable for a while.
callistra
london uk
callistra is female  callistra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 05:02 PM

The white stripes are fat deposits it seems, possibly due to the animals being stressed and kept in cramped conditions. You could try a quality butcher or a farm shop that sells free range, organic etc
There are lots of vegetarian options nowadays, Quorn burgers, sausages, mince, gammon steaks, chicken fillets or nuggets, scotch eggs, cold meats etc.....
you can get dairy free cheese made with coconut oil.
A number of companies make some pretty good substitute burgers and sausages.
Another company makes lovely pies, in gluten free pastry too. lots of flavours, creamy mushroom, saag aloo curry, cheese and potato, minty chickpea, Mexican chilli, lentil and olive, goulash or French cassoulet.
Free from saturated fats, preservatives etc.
so there are lots of options nowadays.

There again when the media reports these issues, it is often without lots of proven quality back up studies or highlighting results that were from lab animal results or in vitro.
A couple of saying come to mind.
All things in moderation and a little of what you fancy does you good.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by callistra ->

A couple of saying come to mind.
All things in moderation and a little of what you fancy does you good.
I'd go along with that !
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 06:59 PM

Hi

Very succinctly put by my GP.

Eat nothing, die healthy.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top